[Peace-discuss] Where do the candidates stand?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu May 27 23:48:45 CDT 2004

[A more formal version of the 15th CD Democrat candidate's statement on
the war. --CGE]

DAVID GILL'S POSITION ON THE IRAQ WAR:

It was wrong to go in, it is wrong to stay in and it is time to bring our
troops home!

The actions of our current administration have made this a much more
dangerous world. The foreign policy adopted by George Bush and Tim Johnson
has only served to further the growth of terrorism around the globe.

Some will say that leaving Iraq will create ^Óchaos.^Ô I disagree. It is
clear that our occupying presence in Iraq is the source of this chaos.

My opponent, Tim Johnson, enthusiastically joined Bush's mad rush to war.
I have always stood firmly against the invasion of Iraq and spoken out
publicly against it.  Both America and Iraq continue to pay the price for
the worst foreign policy nightmare of this generation.  The American
people need leaders who use common sense and treat war as a serious matter
with serious consequences.

SOLUTION: We need to give the Iraqi^Òs full control of their oil fields
and let them adopt their own system of government.  What we have right now
is true chaos and it will persist as long as America is in Iraq and the
Arab world perceives us as an occupying force. As your next Congressman, I
will work to turn the Iraqi Government over to the people of Iraq and
repair international relations with the rest of the world.