[Peace-discuss] Introduction: Emanuel Pastreich

Evan Past epastreich at yahoo.com
Mon May 31 15:40:18 CDT 2004

I want to reintroduce myself and also include the
ideas that I distributed by hand yesterday.

My name is Emanuel Pastreich. I am an assistant
professor of Japanese literature at University of
Illinois. I am honored that you have allowed me to
attend two of the AWARE meetings and I look forward to
working with you in the future.

I am not a member of the Green Party and I am not a
pacifist. I am, however, disgusted at the total lack
of activism and political organization on the part of
most educated and so-called progressives in the United
States. I believe that action is absolutely essential
and I have the deepest respect for those who are
willing to take a risk in this dangerous moment. I
hope that on many points we can find common ground.

You can contact me any time. Also, I will continue to
give you my ideas. I am interested above all in
getting accurate information out to the greatest
number of people. Therefore, I would prefer to go
malls or door-to-door with a list of the major issues
of this age, why they are not reported, and how
citizens can get accurate information and get
involved. I do not refer to anti-war as a stand-alone
issue. I don't think it can be treated without a
consideration of social and economic issues.

I have gone to great lengths to write my texts so that
they apply to a wide political spectrum, and like the
people of Democracy Now, am not shy about engaging
ethical people from all backgrounds. So I may not be a
perfect match for all AWARE activities, but I can be
of help.

I am particularly interested in addressing groups in
the CU area who may not have access to good
information. I would discuss with them the issues that
are left out of the media and how we can organize to
create greater freedom of information locally and
nationally.

Thanks,

Here is my proposal of the other day. Let me know what
you think.

Emanuel

Proposal

It is an unfair assumption that efforts of AWARE are
in conflict with the Kerry campaign. If accurate
information is passed on to citizens throughout the
country about what is happening in this country, it
will tilt the vote towards Kerry. We need never say
"Kerry" in our approach to people. In fact as we
should be approaching everyone, from the poorly
educated, the impoverished and the underpriviledged,
to the wealthy and conservative, it would be a mistake
to back any candidate whatsoever.

Make up handouts of essential news information left
out of mainstream media, explanation of how media
works, and links to good information sources. Hand it
out door to door, go to meetings of churches,
neighborhood groups, unions, fraternies, etc. Make it
comprehensive, beyond simply war, and powerful.

Set up an alternative to the News Gazette that can be
had on line, is entirely volunteer, and can be had for
very little. Full coverage from local to international
with everything you need to be a full newspaper.

2) exchange of information, skills, organization as
part of registration to vote, get out the information.
We need an ideal of forming a new community to replace
that shattered by the systems of transportation and
shopping that have developed over the last 40 years.I
particularly recommend efforts to meet with and
organize on the North Side of Champaign. There are
plenty of people who know there is something seriously
wrong with this country, but they do not know how to
get good information and they have never had anyone
sit down with them and bring them up to speed with
developments in Washington. We do not have to do much
to start things flowing.

4) Volunteer with veterans-particularly the disabled.
Veterans who are back in town are ignored by everyone.
Helping them is the best way to draw attention to this
injustice, and find out what is going on in Iraq. No
action could be more effective than organizing to help
them.

5) Help people. Get faculty at UIUC and Parkland to
interact with neighborhood communities, particularly
those less privleged. Help them by offering advice on
careers, how to read a newspaper, explain history and
current events, etc. Get them registered to vote, and
get them to help us in the campaign to get information
out. By the end of the summer, everyone in the entire
Champaign-Urbana area should have been visited at
least twice by the groups that distribute information.
It should be written in a politically neutral manner
so as to force even those who are conservative to face
some ugly truths.

5) Symbolic displays

 These are easy to do, an opportunity to express
yourself in a manner that
is otherwise denied our citizens today. Little
symbolic acts that are passed
onall over the country can move people--under the
radar--and stir them as no
degree of political advertising could. Let me just
give one suggestion of
a symbolic display that would make all the difference.
 On a certain day this month, an unusual display will
appear in parks,malls, and other open spaces in towns
and cities all over the United States. Here
is what you will see.A bit of hay is laid out in three
circles on ground. On top of each circle
of hay is piled eggs. The three signs read as
follows:"Amount of tax savings of new laws for
families with incomes below $50,000 or assets below
$30,000 (one egg equals $10,000,000)" "Amount of tax
savings of new laws for families with incomes between
$50,000 and $120,000 or assets between $40,000 and
$200,000   (one egg equals $10,000,000)" "Amount of
tax savings of new laws for families with incomes
above $120,000  or assets over $200,000 (one egg
equals $10,000,000)" There is no indication of who
made the piles, or who organized it, but when people
start asking, the source should be made clear. I think
if done with  style, this little event, or ones like
it, could make all the difference.