[Peace-discuss] Just wondering.....

Susan Parenti sparenti at uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 3 20:44:55 CST 2004

Dear Jenifer,

My response is a ";" (semi-colon) response:

Given Michael Moore's clip about the stealing of the 2000 election,
which enabled us to see how they stole that election;
given our knowledge of the Bushies' degrees of
lying/stealing/manipulating;
given our knowledge of how the media is owned;
given the amount of evidence reported yesterday of polling fraud(see
Amy Goodman, Democracy NOW, Tuesday, Nov. 2)

---given all  these givens, how can we think this election WASN'T
stolen?

Many people, myself included, assumed this election would get ugly,
with recounting of votes, much delay, etc. We thought it would look
like the time-delay of election 2000.

But the Bushies learned something from the stealing of election
2000--which is, not to let something stolen take a long time. So today,
speedily, Kerry conceded, Bush gloated, it's all over.

FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE: "It's all over".

And I watch my smart progressive friends hang their heads and say,
"Well, I guess we didn't realize how many Americans really wanted
Bush".

Yes, a bunch of Christian Fundamentalists voted for Bush--

AND---
  Yes, the voting process was fundamentally tampered with by the Bushies.

Watch how quickly they'll dismiss that, by saying it's just the
rhetoric of sore losers.

If we insisted on the stealing, story after story would come forward.

Oh sure, some people will say, " Voting was always associated with
fraud. This is nothing new, Susan. You're just denying Bush's
popularity".

I maintain, people are denying the enormity of what it means to think
this election was stolen, like the one in 2000. It's actually simpler
to believe we live in a country where our fellow citizens disagree with
us and want Bush, than to understand that we live in a country where
the elections are rigged.
-------
Why do I care?
These are two different stories of United States, 2004----the one story
of how most Americans wanted Bush(the current story) and the other
story of how the election process was stolen by the administration one
more time.

And they require two different responses.