[Peace-discuss] must see - stolen elections

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 4 12:56:31 CST 2004

I wouldn't read much into the article "Staged Election: Several Republicans
Win by Exact Same Amount of Votes."  It doesn't cite sources for the data,
and even if the data are correct, the numbers could be a statistical
coincidence, despite the author's protests to the contrary.  If you look for
numerical patterns in a large data set, you will eventually find what you're
looking for, but that alone doesn't prove significance, or cause and effect.

On August 15, Venezuela conducted one of the most fair and transparent
elections in history using electronic voting machines that print a paper
receipt.  Chavez won by a landslide, and the Venezuelan opposition pointed
out that the numbers of votes against Chavez were sometimes identical on
different machines at the same voting location, leading the opposition to
claim that the machines had voting limits preprogrammed inside them.
Auditing of the machines and statistical analyses proved these accusations
to be false, and the Carter Center and the OAS certified the election.

I'm not saying that the voting machines used in the November 2 US election
were not programmed to commit fraud.  I'm saying that the article doesn't
prove this, and with proper auditing and paper receipts, it's possible to
conduct a fair and honest election using electronic voting machines.

--Phil