[Peace-discuss] FW: The Bush

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sat Nov 6 11:19:58 CST 2004

Thanks for writing, Ken.  That was my second laugh for the week.

Jenifer C.
Sorry Jen, this didn't help me laugh.  It does invoke vivid memories from Steven Jay Gould's "Mismeasure of Man" and his description of the systemic racism that was part of the Polygeny movement in the 1850's, a movement that exists today in such works as 'Bell Curve' by Murray.

If we, as a group, go around hitting Bush pinita's with sticks, burning Bush's likenesses, and calling Bush apeish and so forth, how are we different the neoconservatives who use the same tactics of demonizing 'the other'.  Is this any different from characterizing all Arabs as terrorists in cartoons and movies?

We need to get beyond personal attacks and talk about policy.  Dissing someone for the way they look is playing into the corporate media's hands, and says that only 'good looking' people should be elected to highly visible public offices.  That's quite a disservice.

Ken

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof., Computer Science
Parkland College

Office: B129A
           (217)-353-2246
>>> <jencart at mailstation.com> 11/05/04 6:38 PM >>>
Hi All,

I should have forwarded this last week, tho' I really need a laugh this week, and I assume you do, too.

Jenifer

Peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com