[Peace-discuss] AWARE minutes for 11/07/04

Rich Frazin xxx36148 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 19:24:45 CST 2004

AWARE meeting minutes for 11/7/04

Facilitator: Ricky Baldwin
Time Keeper: Lisa Chason
Recorder: Richard Frazin

These are numbered approximately in the order of discussion.  I have
a few bits of info not given here.  Email me for details.

 NEWS OF THE WEEK
---------------------

1. Carl Estabrook - News of the Week
   see related AWARE postings

REPORTS
--------

2. Peter Rohloff
  a. Postcards for Peace Auction 11/14 from 2-5 pm at the Cowboy
Monkey
  b. SAO Protest 11/19-21 (see Peter's posting for more info)
     Peter requested $150 from AWARE to subsidize the effort

3. Linda Evans - Finance Report
   AWARE has $3100.10 in cash, no securities (short or long
positions) reported

4. Carol Inseep - Veterans' Day Event Report
   11/13 1-4 pm at McKinley
   will feature a panel of speakers including Paul Vogel and Roaa
Al-Heeti and
     a showing of 2 relevant DVD's (see www.anti-war.net front page)

5. Ricky Baldwin - P4P Report
   a. about 40 people (1 dog) showed up on 11/6
   b. 10/30 special P4P not discussed, despite the presence of 2 dogs
instead of one
   c. Next P4P on 12/4

6. Durl Kruse - Tabling Report
   seeks permission to table when the Farmer's Market moves inside
for the winter on 11/20

7. Richard Frazin - Gill Campaign Report
   Reported that in 2002 the Dems got 31% without a campaign and the
Greens got 4%.
   In 2004 with a budget of $80k and strong campaign efforts, and a
progressive platform including national health care and unambiguous
opposition to the Iraq war Gill only received 39% of the vote despite
a high turnout.

8. Carol and Aaron Ammons Reports
   a. Carol discussed CU Citizens for Peace and Justice
   b. NAACP membership and election
   c. More emphasis on anti-racism in AWARE
   d. Highlander Center
 (Carol and Aaron did not respond in time to my request for a summary
of their comments to be placed in this posting.  Stay tuned to the
mailing lists for more information.)

  NEW IDEAS section
---------------------

9. Dee Miles
   suggested selling 'peace' flags to raise money

10. Susan Parenti
   suggested revival of the Student Non-violent Coordinating
Committee (SNCC)

11. Richard Frazin
    a.  Stated that we need to reach out to the Bush voters and try
to erode his large base of popular support, despite the difficulties
in establishing dialog with these people.
    b.  Suggested a direct action campaign to maintain the strength
of our dolphin-safe tuna laws

12. Ivan Ruiz (ivan000 at ameritech.net)
    Discussed his incident with the CU police as a case of
discrimination.  See
later postings or email for further details.

13. Danielle Schumaker
   Danielle and Ricky reported that the Coalition for a Citizens
Police Review
Board has begun organizing again.  Visit the website for more
information:
www.prairienet.org/cprb and email Danielle
(danielle at illinoisnorml.org) to
hear about meetings.