[Peace-discuss] Chomsky remarks on the election

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 13 09:45:15 CST 2004

Thanks, Mort, for posting the Chomsky blog.  He criticizes Kerry, discounts
fraud as affecting the election results, and says that the election was like
tossing a coin to pick a king, views that I hold to a certain extent.  I dug
down through the responses to find one that asks the one remaining question
that I have.  We'll see if he responds:

Comment by kevinarchibald posted on Friday, November 12 at 04:39 AM:

Especially in light of Chomksy's comments above about how meaningless this
election was, and about how many issues were off the table, I'd love to hear
from Chomsky on why he decided to sign off on the vote2stopbush.com petition
that advocated voting for Kerry in swing states. I voted for Cobb, but I
have to agree with Nader that issues were off the table because
progressives, and this especially goes for high-profile progressives such as
Chomsky, Zinn, and Mooree, essentially gave Kerry their vote by not
advocating an aggressive presidential campaign in all states. Now I agree we
people who say the best progressive advertising is to start local and work
upwards, where each success gains the confidence of the people in giving our
candidates more power. But, if as Chomsky says, we're already substantial,
then we could have made a difference in at least the last two presidential
elections, when many believed the elections were going to be close, and it
was all about turnout. Like a union going on strike, we could have refused
to vote for Kerry, unless important progressive issues were part of the
party platform, stump speeches, and debates.