[Peace-discuss] Re: [UCprogressives] Re: Pro-choice [was Re: letter to my former comrades]

ppatton at uiuc.edu ppatton at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 15 21:12:28 CST 2004

>I agree that it's quite worthwhile to consider the elements
of choice and
>personal responsibility in this debate, Ken.  But your
conclusion ("it's
>wrong for the government to forbid abortions") depends on an
unstated
>premise: namely, that abortion does not end a human life.  I
can't think
>of many cases where you would think it wrong for the
government to forbid
>the taking of human (or indeed a good bit of non-human) life.
>
>Regards, Carl

Carl-
I agree with you that a woman's right to control her own body
is not, by itself, a sufficient argument that abortion should
be allowed.  I think the central issue is the question of the
humanity of the fetus during the first and early second
trimesters of pregnancy, when most abortions are performed.
The question we need to ask is what traits do humans possess
such that killing them is wrong.  Given an answer to this
question, we can then ask whether first trimester fetuses
possess the needed traits.  I think it is especially
instructive to imagine what traits a non-human (such as an
intelligent machine) would need to have before we would
consider destroying it to be murder.  I would like to suggest
that the valued traits include self awareness, higher
cognition (the ability to anticipate the future is of
particular importance, since killing a person thwarts all of
their future plans), the ability to learn and use a language,
and the capacity for emotional experience.  Note that I am
not suggesting that a person must possess all of the valued
traits, just some of them.  A person suffering from aphasia
(the inability to use language, usually due to damage to
Broca's or Wernicke's area of the cerebral cortex), for
example, can still anticipate the future and experience
emotions.  A person suffering damage to their cinguate cortex
may exhibit a loss of emotional affect, but can still talk
and think.  Developmentally disabled people still exhibit the
valued human traits to a degree, and often possess "islands"
of surviving normal human cognitive ability for particular
tasks.  All of the valued traits that I have mentioned depend
on the functional integrity of the cerebral cortex.  Many
states recogize the special importance of the cerebral cortex
by defining death as the irreversable cessation of cortical
function.  The cerebral cortex is a late developing brain
component.  At the end of the first trimester of pregnancy,
the cerebral cortex is little more than a sheet of
proliferating cells.  The entire body of the fetus, at this
point, is smaller than a newborn baby's brain (size matters,
because it is a rough indicator of complexity).  An organized
cortical electroencephalogram isn't detectable until late in
the second trimester.  I'm pro-choice because I don't believe
it's reasonable to equate aborting a first trimester fetus
with murdering a fully formed human person.  It's more like
removing the feeding tube from a brain-dead patient.
-Paul P.
Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-344-5812
homepage: http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ppatton/www/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein