[Peace-discuss] Re: [UCprogressives] Re: Pro-choice [wasRe: letter to my former comrades]

Esther Patt epatt at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 16 09:49:46 CST 2004

Should the government have the power to force you to make a
medical decision that threatens your life?  Should the
government have the power to force you to make a medical
decision that threatens your health?  Should the government
have the power to force you to make any medical decision at
all?  Folks who oppose abortion because of their religious or
personal moral beliefs often confuse, as Carl does, a
personal, moral decision with the question of public policy.

Carl may believe that a woman should be willing to die, lose
a kidney, undergo major surgery, increase her risk of stroke,
or any number of other risks rather than stop a zygote or
embryo from developing into a fetus and ultimately a baby.
If he were the one who was pregnant, I would support fully
his right to make that decision without government
interference.

The public policy question is whether government should force
every woman who becomes pregnant to carry to term because
some people believe that a zygote is a human being.  Most
people in the U.S. are pro-choice because they do not want
government to have that power.
Esther Patt
Proud to be Pro-Choice