[Peace-discuss] Re: [UCprogressives] Re: Pro-choice [wasRe: letter to my former comrades]

Carl Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Nov 16 13:26:25 CST 2004

I don't think you can be absolutist about the matter, Esther.  Certainly
it's wrong to conclude that the government should never "have the power to
force you to make any medical decision at all" -- regarding the spread of
communicable disease, for example. The question is, of course, What
"personal, moral decisions" are matters of public policy, but some surely
are -- forcing a typhoid carrier to be treated, say, or criminalizing the
knowing spread of AIDS.

It's hard to see how the ending of human life should fall outside the
purview of government, so most of those who hold abortion to be ethical
deny that that's what abortion does.

Regards, Carl