[Peace-discuss] Theological?

Carl Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Nov 16 14:40:29 CST 2004

There does seem to be general agreement, Bob -- except for absolute
pacifists -- that "killing in self-defense is acceptable even though not
always the right decision."  Of course such circumstances are for most of
us thankfully rare -- I would be justified in killing someone "to protect
my health" only in the most extreme circumstances, a life or death matter.

The argument is about whether, or when, the ethical rule you describe
applies to a fetus.  I've suggested in an earlier post why I think that
Paul's attempt to describe some characteristics, the presence of some of
which mean the rule applies, doesn't quite work.  Don Marquis' attempt to
describe what makes killing anyone wrong leads him to conclude, I think
rightly, that that reason unavoidably applies to a fetus.

Marquis (and I) would therefore reject the notion that the argument is
about "whether the fetus is a person or a potential person."  Paul
considers the first, and you (I think appropriately) reject the latter
with a reductio ad absurdum.  But Marquis argues that killing an adult or
child is wrong because it denies an organism of a future like ours, and
that surely applies to a fetus.

And BTW at the risk of mentioning theology, I might say that souls, even
if they exist as some philosophers suggest, have no bearing on the
argument.  (Even for Christians, the central doctrine is the resurrection
of the body, not the immortality of the soul; the latter is at best a
secondary matter, not even mentioned in the Christian creeds.)

Regards, Carl