[Peace-discuss] Re: [UCprogressives] Re: Pro-choice [wasRe: letterto my former comrades]

Carl Estabrook cge at shout.net
Tue Nov 16 15:12:24 CST 2004

I'm quite aware that "MANY REASONABLE people disagree," Ken; that's why I
agree with you that "We need to DEBATE the issue and CONVINCE people..."
But, altho' I'm a democrat, I don't think truth -- philosophical, ethical,
or political -- is established by a show of hands. You may just be more
optimistic than I, but I'm afraid I've seen too many cases where many
reasonable people think it's ok to do things that I think are quite wrong
-- invading Iraq, electing George Bush, etc.  And I don't think we can
relax into the opinion that such people are simply unreasonable or stupid,
altho' I do think they're badly mistaken and often misled.

The examples of AIDS and typhoid were simply meant to reject the position
that the government should not "have the power to force you to make any
medical decision at all."  And of course I agree, as most of our national
leaders would, that "Government needs to consider the diversity of
opinions when making decisions"; that's one of the things that brought the
Vietnamese war to an end.  Another reason to debate the issue and convince
people...

Regards, Carl, who probably should, too.