[Peace-discuss] Republican hypocrisy

Carl Estabrook cge at shout.net
Thu Nov 18 16:20:58 CST 2004

[I'm faxing the following note to our Congressional representative
(202.226.0791).  --CGE]

Timothy V. Johnson
U.S. House of Representatives

Dear Tim:

How did you vote on the DeLay Rule?

Given that what the RNC called "sweetheart gerrymandering" has meant that
only about 5% of House seats were in play in the last election, it's not
surprising that the House as a democratic institution has come to resemble
Chinese and east European assemblies of fifty years ago, but I didn't
realize that kow-towing to leadership has reached this depth.  Many people
will be shocked that the first thing that House Republicans do after the
election is to approve a new rule allowing Tom DeLay and future indictees
to continue in their House leadership roles after being indicted --
particularly when the rule in question had been adopted by Republicans
with much trumpeting about morality.

"There were a number of Republicans who felt it was a mistake," said your
colleague, Christopher Shays of Connecticut.  Were you one of them?  Your
constituents deserve an explanation of your vote, on this and other
matters.

Regards,
Carl