[Peace-discuss] Republican hypocrisy

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri Nov 19 08:58:44 CST 2004

Good letter, Carl.
You may have noticed that Iraq isn't the only country being colonized.....
Jenifer C.
[I'm faxing the following note to our Congressional representative (202.226.0791).  --CGE]

Timothy V. Johnson
U.S. House of Representatives

Dear Tim:

How did you vote on the DeLay Rule?

Given that what the RNC called "sweetheart gerrymandering" has meant that only about 5% of House seats were in play in the last election, it's not surprising that the House as a democratic institution has come to resemble Chinese and east European assemblies of fifty years ago, but I didn't realize that kow-towing to leadership has reached this depth.  Many people will be shocked that the first thing that House Republicans do after the election is to approve a new rule allowing Tom DeLay and future indictees to continue in their House leadership roles after being indicted -- particularly when the rule in question had been adopted by Republicans with much trumpeting about morality.

"There were a number of Republicans who felt it was a mistake," said your colleague, Christopher Shays of Connecticut.  Were you one of them?  Your constituents deserve an explanation of your vote, on this and other matters.

Regards,
Carl

Peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com