[Peace-discuss] good news for a change

ppatton at uiuc.edu ppatton at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 22 17:46:26 CST 2004

Congress Rejects New Nuclear Weapons Funds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Congress denied the Bush
administration funds to study a new generation of nuclear
weapons, omitting the money from a huge mop-up spending bill
it passed over the weekend, lawmakers said on Monday.

The final $388 billion spending bill did not include the
$36.6 million President Bush (news - web sites) sought to
study so-called bunker-busting nuclear weapons that would be
used to destroy underground facilities as well as smaller
nuclear arms with half the power of the bomb dropped on
Hiroshima.

The White House said it had no plans to build such weapons,
but wanted to keep the door open to their development to deal
with emerging threats.

Democrats said just considering the weapons takes nuclear
warfare out of the realm of the unthinkable and encourages
adversaries of the United States to develop such weapons.

Pressed by Rep. David Hobson (news, bio, voting record), an
Ohio Republican who chairs the House of Representatives
subcommittee that oversees nuclear weapons spending, Senate
and House negotiators backed the House position to omit the
money from the huge spending package that Congress passed
over the weekend.

"If we are to convince other countries to forego nuclear
weapons, we cannot be preparing to build an entire new
generation of nuclear weapons here in the U.S.," said Rep. Ed
Markey, a Massachusetts Democrat.

Markey said this "should send a strong signal to the Bush
administration to drop this weapon from next year's budget
request."

Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-344-5812
homepage: http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ppatton/www/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein