[Peace-discuss] balata update

rohloff at uiuc.edu rohloff at uiuc.edu
Mon Nov 22 21:51:51 CST 2004

Here's an email update I just received from our friends working in Balata--
Peter

Hello everyone!

First, we need to send our apologies for not sending regular updates.  Due
to the Ramadan and Eid holidays, and delays as a result of the passing of
Arafat, we were not able to start moving on the projects as soon as we
hoped.  Hopefully the updates will be more consistent in the future.

As some people might know, there has been a general strike of UNRWA
employees for the last 40 days.  In the refugee camps, this means that
there
was no school, no garbage pickup, no medical clinic, and no other basic
social services that the camp depends on.  The striking workers were all
Palestinians, demanding basic benefits and an end to the pay
discrimination
between Palestinian and foreign employees.  For example, an UNWRA
employee
from Balata might receive 100 JD in 'hazard pay' every 4 months, while
their
foreign colleagues working in Jerusalem would receive 400 JD in one
month.
The strike ended today, undoubtedly with the strikers' demands barely
being
met, but the services are back running again in the camp.   Children are
back in school and the mountains of rubbish covering the streets are
slowly
being cleared.

Concurrently, there are a number of exciting projects happening with the
balatacamp.net projects!

Practical media trainings have begun; teaching children, teenagers and
adults basic skills in journalism, website editing, photography skills and
basic computer skills.  We are placing an emphasis on working with
women,
and on acutely socio-economically disadvantaged children and teens that
are
not already involved in youth projects in the camp.  The aims of these
courses are to give people the skills they need to create their own
independent community media.

In addition, the Balata Film Collective has begun to take shape.
Individuals have begun working with the video cameras; filming
demonstrations, incursions by the army and individual stories.  Currently,
we are training people how edit film on computers.  Unfortunately, some of
our promises for equipment fell through, so we have less to work with than
previously thought.  Regardless, people are enthusiastically working with
the equipment that we do have.

There is a new draft of the balatacamp.net website.  Go to:
http://www.balatacamp.net/~balata/website/english.htm

Part of the touring exhibition (including art, photos and film) is archived
and available on the site.

Members from balatacamp.net are also currently involved with a new
children's cultural project.  A group of very talented children have put
together an amazing performance involving political drama, traditional
music
and dance (dabke).  Details of this will be sent in an upcoming email.

Finally, all projects are in the beginning stages and much help is needed
and appreciated.  Residents from the camp are always open to new ideas
and
projects.  People are encouraged to come to Balata with any skills or
assistance they can offer in the creation of new or assistance of continuing
projects.  For more info, email:  info at balatacamp.net

in solidarity,
balatacamp.net

Peter Rohloff, PhD
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology
Medical Scholars Program
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
217-333-4766