[Peace-discuss] Minutes of AWARE mtg Nov 21, 2004

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Tue Nov 23 11:56:48 CST 2004

Thanks to Dee Miles for her first time taking minutes. Please note we
decided to change the order of the next meeting and start with open
discussion for 45 minutes, then conduct regular AWARE business. I will
be creating the agenda so if you have something specific you want
included in the open discussion section or have a business item for the
second part, please email it to me by Saturday morning. Randall Cotton
will be facilitator.
Lisa

>Date:  Nov 21, 2004
>
>Time:  5:00p.m.
>
>Facilitator:  Lisa Chason
>
>1.  News read by Carl Estabrook
>
>2.  Linda bringing new white board and markets to next meeting.
>
>      a.  Maybe upwards of $2200 made at Postcards for Peace.
>      b.  $333 Iraq Vets Against War monies made.  Check to be
>rounded up to $350.
>      c.   Underwriting for WEFT to be paid by the year.  Unanimous.
>
>3.  Vote at NAACP put off till Dec. 21 for president.  Election
>5-7p.m. at 4th and Bradley.  Have to be a member by today's date.
>Electoral Supervisory Committee has been elected.  Randall Cotton is
>on committee.  No good current list of members yet.  There is
>tension, irregularities, etc. , but many members feel we are making
>positive progress.
>
>4.  Tabling - Letter was sent to Urbana Business Assn.  Mort
>subsequently received a phone call from them.  They said they could
>do nothing re AWARE table inside mall--that it was up to the owners.
>At impasse now.  We are awaiting letter from them.   Head of mall
>was invited to speak to AWARE.  However, there has been no response.
>
>5.  UPTV - Resolution in City Council tomorrow night, Nov. 22.
>Mayor still resisting.  Randall says he has the votes.  The mtg. is
>7:30p.m. and there was a show of hands for those planning to attend.
>
>6.  Prospect for Peace - Next date Dec. 4 2-4 p.m.  Randall proposed
>following date for Jan.8 due to holidays.  Everyone agreed.  Sandra
>suggested ad be put in Gazette.  We'll discuss this further.
>
>Next portion of meeting was DISCUSSION.  Thoughts re election
>results, new focus for upcoming months, ideas for action.
>
>Rick - Outreach to different demographics
>Lisa - Validity of election a concern
>Susan - Access has been lost to democratic process.  Also necessity
>to think about how we talk and couch sensitive issues.
>Mort - * Will send info to list-serve re going to Ohio to
>participate in recount efforts.  David Cobb of Green Party has web
>site with info.
>Jude - Why another election fiasco?  Has propelled me into action.
>Why I am here.
>Mark - Feels Kerry gave up.  Trajectory is getting a coalition
>together to change framework for action.
>Bob - Democrats didn't represent their people.  Says election only
>interesting because it was close.  Need to sincerely investigate the
>evangelical vote.
>David - * Wants to take local action when timely re Sinclair
>Broadcasting disagreements.
>Rob - * Wants platform to connect with people of other cultures
>Sharon - Questions re availability of British newspapers such as
Guardian.