[Peace-discuss] Iran gold dinar/euros/oil

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Fri Nov 26 12:57:20 CST 2004

Thanks for the article, Lisa.

This makes a whole lot of sense to me. And the timeline is
tight, with trading to start in early 2006.

Saudi investements in U.S. companies comprise about 6% or 7%
of market capitalization, according to Michael Moore (with the
NYSE composite representing 82% of the total U.S. market cap).
Given the fact that Saudi investors have shown interest in
participating in the new petroeuro exchange market - and
given that they are the world's largest producers of oil - it
seems that the U.S. could be teetering over an abyss of
macro-economic irrelevance. I'm left with the impression that
our downfall, if it happens, will be more catastrophic and
quick than I previously thought. If 6-7% does not seriously
impact the U.S. economy, it certainly threatens to set in
motion a furious feedback loop that amplifies itself as other
investors reallocate their petro investments. This is not
particularly difficult to imagine given the current climate of
international U.S. hatred. We've made a lot of enemies lately,
folks.

Two courses of action seem viable for U.S. planners. One, they
could prevent the creation of the Iranian exchange through
military action or the threat thereof. Two, they could allow
the creation of the Bourse (exchange) and then compete with or
even destroy it. One way to do this would be to devalue and
maybe even cripple the euro, which would keep petrodollar
investments flowing through our financial markets. I don't
know. There are a lot of possibilities. I would love to be
reading the Pentagon "working papers" that are flying around
concerning this.

I several questions for all of you. Why is this stuff so
secret? Why is the administration not willing to tell us that
the war in Iraq is about this? There are a lot of people being
killed and nobody knows why. It's not like the truth couldn't
be spun to "justify" the death and destruction we are causing.
I hate to say this, but it seems to me that Americans are not
particularly discerning about reasons for war; almost anything
will work. So, why the secrecy? I mean, we are looking at the
threat of an economic meltdown. Plenty of people will rally
behind this.

Question number two. Why not use multilateral diplomatic and
economic strategies to cooperate with a new Bourse, moderate
it's effects and ease the decline of the petrodollar in the
world market. This would allow us the chance to mitigate the
negative human costs of a weakening American economy. The
current course of military domination perpetuates the most
destruction and suffering on both the intended victims as well
as our own people. Why persue these policies? What is the
reason for this? Is it nationalism? Is it simply class based
disregard (classism)? What is it?

..:: paul king

(who is glad to be living in the midwest with lots of rich
farmland, plenty of water and many creative, caring people who
are capable of creating a new society if this one collapses)