[Peace-discuss] Julio's Puerto Rican lassagna recipe

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 4 18:22:30 CDT 2004

Hello,

At Saturday's potluck dinner at Jan and Durl's house, we received several
requests for Julio's Puerto Rican lassagna recipe, so I'm posting it here.
It's not vegetarian, but I'm sure that substitutions could be made for the
ground beef.

--Phil

Pastelon (Puerto Rican Lassagna)

Book: Puerto Rican Cuisine in America by Oswaldo Rivera, modified by Julio
and Phil

6 ripe yellow plantains.  (These need to be really ripe.  Try to get ones
with black or almost black peels.)
1/2 cup olive oil (for frying)
1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 serrano peppers (or other hot pepper variety), chopped
1 pound lean ground beef or ground chuck
Salt and crushed or ground black pepper to taste
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
12 olives, stuffed with pimientos
1 heaping tablespoon capers
2 tablespoons raisins
12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
3 beaten eggs

Peel the plantains, and cut lengthwise into long, half-inch thick strips.
(Three strips per plantain usually works well.)

Heat olive oil or canola oil in a frying pan or skillet and fry the plantain
strips on both sides over moderate heat until golden and semi-translucent.
Set aside.

Clean the frying pan, (put almost all the oil out), heat and sauté the
onion, green pepper, red bell pepper, and hot peppers until the onion is
translucent.  Remove from pan and set aside.

In the same pan (do not wipe clean), brown the ground beef over high heat,
stirring constantly.
Put out the most of the meat fat. Reduce heat to medium. Add sautéed onions
and peppers and remaining ingredients, except the cheese and eggs. Stir to
combine and cook for 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees at least 10 minutes before baking.

Grease a 8” X 11 1/2” X 2” (2 quart) baking dish and layer as follows: half
of plantains (to completely cover bottom), half of meat filling, half of
beaten eggs (drizzled over the meat layer), half of cheese, half of
plantains, half of meat filling, half of beaten eggs, half of cheese.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven, let stand 3-5 minutes.  Cut into squares.
Yield: 6-8 servings.