[Peace-discuss] David Rovics anti-recruitment tour

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 10:05:10 CDT 2004

This should be relevant to the anti-recruitment
working group:

Subject: Fw: [David Rovics] Counter-recruitment tour
of US high schools
-- how to do it?

Hey folks,

The busy fall tour continues.  I'm presently on an
airplane heading
towards
Salt Lake City and other points southwest, after
participating in the
spirited events surrounding yesterday's debate between
tweedledum and
tweedledumber
in St. Louis.  (For details on the rest of the tour,
it's all  on
_www.davidrovics.com_ (http://www.davidrovics.com)  in
the "gigs"
section.)

I had a particularly powerful experience at Morton
West High School in
Berwyn, Illinois a few days ago.  It made me realize
that I really need
to  do lots
more performances at high schools.  The military, for
one, is going
all-out
to reach that age group and I want to do that, too.
It seems clear  to
me
that it's a more impressionable age group than the
colleges (where I
perform
frequently).  And at the high schools where I've
played, the  students
in
different classes come to my performance instead of
doing their  normal
class that
day, so it's a real chance to communicate with people
outside  the
choir.

Specifically, my idea is to do a "counter-recruitment"
tour of high
schools
(and colleges, too, but especially high schools).
I've got a page up
on my
website for that purpose (go to _www.davidrovics.com_
(http://www.davidrovics.com)  and click on
"counter-recruitment" on
the menu to the left), but
otherwise I have no idea how  to proceed.  If you know
of relevant
listservs to pass
this message on to,  or if you know high school
teachers or
administrators you
can pass this message  on to or write to yourself, or
if you have any
ideas
or feedback to share with  me, this would all be most
welcome.

Following is the text of the counter-recruitment
section that appears
on my
website.  (It's better on the website, as there it
includes relevant
links  to
websites and song lyrics.)  Thanks in advance for your
time and  effort
in
helping me to make this idea a reality!

--David

Counter-Recruitment Presentation

Military recruiters are an increasingly common
presence in high school
cafeterias around the US. In an effort to give
students the opportunity
to think
critically about the military and the negative aspects
of it that the
recruiters  don't talk about, David Rovics is
available to come to your
high school and
 balance the discussion with a coherent and
entertaining anti-war
perspective.

David is a staple musician in the US anti-war movement
and has
performed at
hundreds of rallies, conferences and other events
throughout the
country --
often for dedicated crowds of a few dozen at a vigil
and often for
hundreds of
thousands of people on the streets of New York City,
Washington, DC and
elsewhere.

His presentation mixes relevant information with
relevant original
songs. In
a folksy, accessible way David will present the
viewpoint that rather
than a
war  of liberation, this is a war about oil --
"Operation Iraqi
Liberation"
(also the  name of song) as it was briefly named by
the Bush
administration
(thus  proving that material in the modern era comes
"pre-satirized"
from the
powers  that be).

He will talk about the disillusionment of the soldiers
in Iraq, provide
resources about what they themselves are saying about
the war (such as
_www.militaryproject.org_
(http://www.militaryproject.org/) ), talk
about  the dangers of
Depleted Uranium munitions, Post-Traumatic Stress and
other  hazards
soldiers
are exposed to, and tell stories about disabled and
neglected  veterans
returned from Iraq, such as "The Face of Victory."

He will discuss the apparent contradiction between the
basic tenets of
Christianity ("thou shalt not kill") and the seemingly
irreconcileable
"war
without an end." David will ask the question, "Who
Would Jesus Bomb?"

He will talk about the US, international law, the
Nuremberg Principles,
and
individuals such as helicopter pilot, Hugh Thompson
("Song for Hugh
Thompson"),  who decided to abide by them.

He will bring the human element into the discussion
about war and talk
about
the civilian toll with songs like "Hiroshima" and
"Song for Basra."

He will discuss the historical justifications versus
the realities of
wars in
 which the US has participated, from the Alamo to the
Lusitannia to the
Gulf
of  Tonkin.

Finally, he will provide information about groups in
civil society who
are
involved with assisting soldiers and veterans in
various ways, such as
Iraq
Veterans Against the War, Military Families Speak Out,
Veterans for
Peace, the
War Resisters League, and the Central Committee on
Conscientious
Objectors
(all  of which appear on the "links" page at
_www.davidrovics.com_
(http://www.davidrovics.com/) ).

Common sense says that students should be exposed to
both sides of this
argument. A functioning democracy requires an informed
populace. A real
"volunteer" military requires soldiers who know what
they were actually
volunteering
for. To provide your school with this opportunity,
contact David  now,
before
more of your students make decisions which they may
regret for the
rest of
their lives. You may also visit _www.davidrovics.com_
(http://www.davidr
ovics.com/)  for more information  about David, his
life and work.

David  Rovics
www.davidrovics.com
drovics at aol.com