[Peace-discuss] What do we do now?

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Oct 10 21:50:00 CDT 2004

Thanks, Ricky, for your reasonable reply.

If you read my note carefully, you will see that what disturbed me
about the Mahajan piece, what I called "nonsense", was his claim that
those who wish the defeat of the Bush junta are are harming the antiwar
efforts. I think I said that clearly. Mahajan, along with many others
of the holier than thou left, constantly trumpet the message that the
election is a diversion, that Kerry is not a "dimes worth of
difference" different from Bush, and that they don't really give a damn
about who wins.  [Tell the Spanish that elections don't mean anything!]
I think these people are cavalierly irresponsible. I am glad to hear
that Francis Fox Piven is not among them.

As to whether our electoral politics is harming the antiwar effort, I
have no evidence whether it is or is not. So far as I can tell, AWARE's
efforts have not diminished because of the electoral campaign.  People
come and leave movements such as the antiwar movement---or P4---for
various reasons, and it is too simple to say that they have left
because of a particular reason. That there are not now 10 million
people protesting, still, around the world (or 200 on North Prospect)
against U.S. aggressive and bloody wars cannot be attributed to U.S.
electoral politics.

  I think that those who say that our electoral politics have hurt the
antiwar effort often have other oxes (oxen?) to grind, in particular
that they detest Kerry and would like to see him lose---"no loss" they
would say. [Nader is a special case. ]

I admit to some hope, if not optimism, that some things might be better
for Iraq and foreign humanity more generally once the Bush junta is no
longer in power. It is a possibility, not a probablility, especially if
the antiwar movement maintains pressure. Kerry will not be ignorant of
how much his election is due to the antiwar sentiment. In any case, the
issue is not now resolvable.  Even if Kerry wins, we certainly will
have to keep up our protests and resistance, as you suggest, to U.S.
imperial strategies. No argument there!

Mort