[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] AWARE Minutes-10-10-04

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Wed Oct 13 15:02:55 CDT 2004

I agree that the decision should stand, esp since the agreement was that 85% for or against an issue was sufficient, and you had that....
Jenifer C
Since everyone agreed at the meeting, I don't see why we should go  back on our decision.

At 1:56 PM -0500 10/12/04, Morton K. Brussel wrote:
>I hesitate to tread here.
>
>There will always be "some" who believe ("understand"?) anything;
>that seems to be in the nature of "faith". "Human life" is turning
>out to be a very slippery concept.  However, since this issue is for
>"some" controversial (For how many on the left I don't know.),
>perhaps Carl is right that, tactically, AWARE should not endorse
>this effort. All those who would wish to support the effort, and
>most of us may be in that camp, can do so on an individual basis.
>
>mkb
>

>On Oct 11, 2004, at 9:38 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>
>>  "Emergency contraception" may be necessary
>>for victims of rape, but it's understood by some as an abortifacient.
>
>I left the meeting early Sunday (I'm doing a walk-on in the current
>Station Theatre play, Aristocrats -- which I can recommend in good
>conscience, as my contribution is slight), so I wasn't there when this
>matter was discussed. I should have spoken against it for two reasons, one
>substantive and one tactical. "Emergency contraception" may be necessary
>for victims of rape, but it's understood by some as an abortifacient; its
>general promotion does seem to suggest a casualness towards human life
>that we decry in other US government policies. Tactically, it's the sort
>of issue that Tom Frank describes in What's the Matter with Kansas? as
>derailing progressive politics.  An anti-war group that wants to talk to
>people other than self-described liberals should stay away from it.  --CGE

Al Kagan
African Studies Bibliographer and Professor of Library Administration Africana Unit, Room 328
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801, USA

tel. 217-333-6519