[Peace-discuss] AWARE Minutes-10-10-04 (objection and voting rules)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sat Oct 16 23:45:42 CDT 2004

Randall--

I still wonder a bit about how such a constitutional decision could be
made. Could it have been concluded if there had been an objection?  (I
would have objected.) But as I've said before I think AWARE, given its
fluid membership, works best on moral (not necessarily statistical)
unanimity: those who thoroughly disagree will simply go away.  That said,
it's obviously in AWARE's interest to maintain that moral unanimity.  One
of my objections to the rally sponsorship is that it threatens that unity,
in a predictable way (as the Frank book describes).

As a group dedicated to opposition to the war policy of the US government
and its concomitant racism, AWARE should realize that these sentiments are
not restricted to conventional liberals or to the narrow self-described
"left" in American society.  AWARE will lose some of its effectiveness if
it's seen as confined to those precincts. It was founded (long ago, in
2001) precisely to bring together local people from a variety of positions
who were shocked at the US war policy and the attitudes to peoples around
that world that went with it.

I've suggested why I think this sponsorship is a mistake for AWARE, both
substantively and tactically.  (As Wendy Edwards remarks perceptively,
"most of us probably would not expect to see Planned Parenthood organizing
anti-war demonstrations...")  But I think it would simply compound an
error to spend meeting time on considering whether to affirm or rescind
the co-sponsorship. That would be being distracted in exactly the way that
I'm objecting to.

And it would perhaps be even worse to make this matter a constitutional
crisis for AWARE, perhaps resulting in even more rigid rules.  (The
rigidity of the rule decided in the summer -- apparently when I was out of
town -- seems to me already a wrong turning. What's to be gained by
"winning" a vote in AWARE?  The losing side will simply drift away.) It's
been observed that many voluntary groups come together around a particular
way of being concerned about the world -- and slowly become a particular
way of being concerned about the group itself...

I'd suggest we -- to coin a phrase -- move on, let the matter stand, and
not consider it any further at the meeting.  I'd much prefer AWARE return
to being concerned about the world, and the war our country is waging
against it.

Regard, Carl