[Peace-discuss] EC, Process, and Assumptions

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 17 12:52:44 CDT 2004

I would like to respond to the discussion around EC and AWARE process.

First of all, I want to address Robert Dunn. I want him to realize that
although he has apologized, it is not OK to send such messages and then
think that all can be righted by sending an apology.  AWARE has
patiently worked with Robert over a long period of time. Whatever his
new political perspective is in his new place of residence, I would
have though Robert would have some warm feelings for us.  As far as I
am concerned, Robert should keep his further comments off the AWARE
list.

Carl has made some political assertions that need to be addressed. I
certainly don’t want to debate EC with him since his opinions are his
own and are long-standing. There is obviously room in AWARE for people
with various views.  We established the 90% rule in order to
accommodate this diversity while also being able to take positions and
act when the overwhelming majority are in support.  Whether or not Carl
was in attendance when we made this process decision seems unimportant.
I hope he can accommodate himself to the will of the organization, and
I hope he will stop protesting the 90% rule.

Carl asserts that there is more principled criticism of the neoco
program and the Iraq war on the Right than on the Left.  He states that
the Left has been reduced to 2 groups, the liberal imperialists and the
defenders of identity politics, and that Noam Chomsky falls outside
these two groups.

First of all, it seems to me that Chomsky is highly regarded throughout
the Left and he is therefore quite in the Left mainstream.  It seems
bizarre to me that he could be considered in any other way.

Secondly, I don’t understand how liberal imperialists could ever be
considered part of the Left. By definition, liberals are not leftists.

Thirdly, Carl seems to disparage “identity politics.” If by this he
means groups that identity along lines of race, gender, or sexual
orientation, he is right that there is a wide diversity of such groups
within the Left.  There is a reason why such groups exist, namely
because  people in these groups are systematically discriminated
against and repressed by the mainstream society.  Naturally people will
organize to defend their collective rights based on the nature of the
oppression. So  it my view, there is nothing wrong with “identity
politics.” In fact, I wish that AWARE was more sensitive to these
issues in general. I think this is one of our weaknesses.

Finally, I am very surprised to see that Carl thinks the Right has
criticized the war more than the Left.  Unless this refers to some kind
of theoretical armchair discussions of which I am not aware, it also
seems absurd on its face. Just who is it that goes out all over the
country (and world) to protest the war? Just look at our own local
situation for example, or look at who organizes the huge Washington
protests.  Do we see rightists coming out in any large numbers to
actually protest the war?  I think not.

The above points relate to the assumptions behind our work. I think it
is good to get them on the table.

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328
University of Illinois Library