[Peace-discuss] peace and contraception

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 17 14:57:46 CDT 2004

Some comments, Ricky:

[1] Despite the frequent assertions on this list that "emergency
contraception is not abortion," there are those who see interference with
fertilized ova as abortion, and that's what these drugs do.

[2] The abortion debate should begin (not end) with the observation that
it's unreasonable to hold that human rights are conferred only at birth
and do not exist before.  It's not of course a matter of "the same rights
as an adult human being" (voting, for instance), but the one-day old child
does have the right not to have its life ended -- we agree that
infanticide is wrong.  When does that right begin?

[3] You write "...granting the fetus this more or less absolute right to
life means taking away rights from pregnant women ... [which] may include
life, health, autonomy to varying degrees, economic well-being or a number
of other things."  I'm not quite sure who's doing the granting -- the left
has historically argued for the recognition of rights that were being
ignored by a repressive society -- but you certainly would not come to
similar conclusions in the following cases:
	[a] "...granting the Palestinians this more or less absolute right
to life means taking away rights from Israeli Jews ... [which] may include
life, health, autonomy to varying degrees, economic well-being or a number
of other things"; and
	[b] "...granting slaves in the antebellum South this more or less
absolute right to life means taking away rights from plantation owners ...
include life, health, autonomy to varying degrees, economic well-being or
a number of other things."
	But [a] and [b] seem true.  In each case there are rights that may
indeed possibly conflict, but they can't be simply ignored.

[4] I think you may have misunderstood my remark to Jen.  Her questions
were rhetorical, designed to expose the ludicrousness of the positions
they seemed to represent.  I simply agreed.

[5] Finally, I do think we should worry about "alienating, for example,
anti-war Democrats or anti-war Zionists or anti-war free-traders or
anti-war pro-Chief folks or any number of other anti-war types."  And I
think it's an even greater mistake to change the anti-war focus of the
group.  Sponsoring the EC rally is like sponsoring a rally for brave
little Israel (another point on which we'd be agreement with the Kerry
people), or against the new anti-Semitism (David might object to our doing
that), or to honor the Chief...

"That's really our job ... to communicate as best we can the need for and
the hope of making a difference through opposing the war, and then act
together, as we have been."  I quite agree, with the proviso for the need
to expand and not contract the number of those so communicating.

Regards, Carl