[Peace-discuss] RE: [UCprogressives-discuss] Fw: Election Commission

Esther Patt estherpatt at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 22 14:56:19 CDT 2004

Whether you think the Commission is a good idea or not, be assured that the
county clerk's efforts to suppress voting have been vigorous and persistent.
  In 2000, two of my co-workers turned in change of address of registration
the first week in September.  The guy who lived in Savoy got a new voter
registration card 3 days later.  The woman who lived on Fifth & Green didn't
get her new card until the day before the election.  Shelden denied that he
held back student voter registration forms and processed them last, but my
experience says otherwise.

This year, he showed up at Quad Day around 11:00 a.m. after more than 300
students had registered to vote and decreed that the forms they used were no
good under a November 2003 law.  He had been accepting those forms for
months, right up through August of this year until his decision on Quad Day
to deem them invalid.  All those people had to re-register.   On election
day in 2000, polling places in Mahomet had extra booths and in the polling
places on campus, people had to wait in lines because there weren't enough
booths.  One polling place (I think it was PAR) ran out of ballots.   How
does something like that happen?  We know student turn out in presidential
elections is much higher than in the other elections.  The clerk should be
prepared.
Esther Patt

<peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com>,<ucprogressives-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com>,<prairiegreens at lists.groogroo.com>

<cumpston at uiuc.edu>;
<grosales at uiuc.edu>;
><SMITHJL at ci.champaign.il.us>; <tjwright at cooketech.net>;
><jlaesch11 at hotmail.com>; <dpkovacic at sbcglobal.net>;
><mpatten at prairienet.org>; <ramowatt at yahoo.com>
>Sent: Friday, October 22, 2004 11:03 AM
>Subject: Election Commission
>

>: As you may know, Champaign County has a long and shameful history of
>: election day voter suppression, particularly in African-American
>: neighborhoods and on the University campus.  The problem is that the
>: election authority for the county is an elected politician, and in
recent
>: decades anyway, a Republican politician who sees these two groups as
being
>: pro-Democrat.
>:
>: The November ballot will have a referendum question on whether to
create
>an
>: independent, bi-partisan Election Commission, which if passed would
take
>on
>: all election-related responsibilities of both the County Clerk and the
>: County Board.  All decisions of the Election Commission would be made
in
>: open meetings, unlike our present system, where they are made behind
>closed
>: doors by an official who has now admitted to misusing public property
in
>the
>: Clerk's office to help run Republican campaigns.
>:
>: We are making a massive push this Sunday to get information out to
voters
>in
>: support of the Election Commission.  Please help us by passing along
the
>: attached announcement to any progressive lists you may be aware of.
Also,
>: please consider spending a few hours on Sunday to help bring fair
& open
>: elections to Champaign County!
>:
>: Thank you,
>: Tony Fabri
>:
>: _________________________________________________________________
>: FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now!
>: http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/
>:
>
>WHAT:    "Lit Drop" to support "Yes" vote for
Election Commission

>WHEN:    This Sunday, Oct. 24, at 10 am and again at 2 pm
>
>WHERE:  Meet at Democratic HQ, 14 E. Washington, downtown Champaign
>
>WHY:       Every two years, Democrats have to fight our Republican
County
>Clerk to make sure voters are properly registered and able to vote.
Whether
>you started working in campaigns in 1972, 1992, or even 2002, you've
>probably witnessed examples where the Republican County Clerk has used
his
>office to suppress the vote of African-Americans and students in this
>community.  Meanwhile, the County Clerk's Office is misused to run
>Republican campaigns, instead of fair and unbiased elections.  It's a
>shameful record for our community.
>
>We have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to change that record on
November
>2nd.  A ballot referendum question will ask Champaign County voters if
they
>want to create a Board of Election Commissioners.  If passed, all
election
>responsibilities of the County Clerk and of the County Board will be
>combined under an independent, bipartisan commission.  Never again will
one
>political party have complete control over the mechanics of our
elections.
>Never again will we wonder what goes on behind closed doors, because the
>Election Commission will have to make all decisions in open meetings
with
>the public watching.
>
>Most of us have been so focused on electing Democratic candidates that
we've
>not been able to mount much of a campaign in support of the Election
>Commission.  (Despite having record voter registration and expecting
record
>turnout in the upcoming election, Mark Shelden, on the other hand,
hasn't
>been too busy to campaign against it.)  Now is the time to change that.
>
>We have literature supporting the Election Commission, but we don't have
>money available to mail out the thousands of flyers we need to get out.
>Instead, we're organizing a massive "lit drop" this Sunday,
Oct. 24.  We
>need EVERYONE to help us get the word out effectively!
>
>Whether you're a veteran campaigner or someone who's never worked in a
>campaign before, now is the time to get involved!  In one day, you can
help
>make the difference between victory and defeat for the Election
Commission.