[Peace-discuss] Presbyterian Response to Tribune columnist

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 09:06:00 CDT 2004

These two letters were published this morning in the
Tribune, in response to Ron Grossman's outrageous
article from a week ago Sunday. They did not publish
my letter, recently posted on this list--not a
problem--except it would be nice if Grossman's
distortion of the historical record was not allowed to
stand.

Presbyterians working toward peace in Israel
Rick Ufford-Chase, Moderator of the 216th General
Assembly (2004) of the Presbyterian Church (USA)

October 26, 2004

Louisville -- The American public and Jewish community
deserve a clear account of the recent actions of the
Presbyterian Church (USA) in relation to
Israel/Palestine.

I was elected by that assembly to preside over our
deliberations and to represent our church in our
highest elected office for the coming two years.

Unfortunately the inaccurate information and
emotionally charged language of recent articles, such
as that by Chicago Tribune staff reporter Ron Grossman
("Questions of conscience; Putting Israel in a
ghetto," Perspective, Oct. 17), adds fuel to the fire
of controversy regarding security and what will make
for peace in Israel/Palestine.

Our General Assembly initiated "a process of phased,
selective divestment in multinational corporations
operating in Israel, in accordance with General
Assembly policy on social investing."

We do not call for a blanket divestment. The process
involves careful research, extensive interaction with
companies involved and the development of criteria and
goals based on existing policies of the Presbyterian
Church (USA) that call for an end to the occupation.
Divestment is recommended only as a last step.

In short this action aims to align our investments
with what we believe to be the way toward a just
peace.

The church also made clear its opposition to "the
construction of a wall and other barriers by the state
of Israel." We are fully aware of Israel's need to
protect its population from terrorist attacks. We
condemn such acts of violence and have called for the
security of Israel in church statements since 1948.

We believe that "the best hope for security for both
Israelis and Palestinians may be found in laying down
all forms of aggression on both sides, ending the
Israeli occupation and finding ways to build bridges
of peace rather than walls of separation."

Elected commissioners from across the country adopted
these resolutions after hours of prayer and
deliberation. They acted not out of anti-Semitism or
ignorance but to pursue deeply held convictions about
what is needed for long-term peace and stability in
Israel/Palestine.

We value the relationships of respect and cooperation
between Presbyterians and Jews, and welcome respectful
conversation about our actions.
Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/chi-0410260196oct26,1,2650215.story?coll=chi-newsopinionvoice-hed

VOICE OF THE PEOPLE (LETTER)
Peace in Israel
Sarah Godschalk

October 26, 2004

La Grange Park -- In response to Chicago Tribune staff
reporter Ron Grossman's piece in the Oct. 17
Perspective section, and as a Presbyterian, I would
venture to say that no mainline American Christian
church has studied the Arab-Israeli conflict more
closely than has the Presbyterian Church of the United
States of America over the past decades. Nor has any
mainline denomination been more supportive of Israel's
security.

To clarify the issue at hand, let us understand that
the Presbyterian Church (USA) has not decided to
divest all investments in Israel. The decision that it
took earlier this year called for an exploration of a
selective divestment from those companies whose
business is found to be directly or indirectly causing
harm or suffering to innocent people, Palestinian or
Israeli.

Without rebutting each point in Grossman's article,
suffice to say that the Presbyterian Church (USA) is
not trying to punish Israel or cause its security to
be threatened. Rather the aim of the church action is
to motivate real change in Israel's policies toward
the Palestinians that are deemed illegal, oppressive
or negative to peace.

Presbyterians want both Israel and Palestine to
survive and prosper in the Middle East. To do so,
Israel must have a decent respect for the concerns of
the whole world community seeking peace and stability.

In an earlier period, the Presbyterian Church (USA)
consistently called for Palestinians to recognize the
state of Israel and this has occurred. The hope is now
that Israel, which has essentially ignored previous
Presbyterian Church (USA) resolutions calling for an
end to Israeli settlement and other proscribed
activity in the West Bank and Gaza, will realize that
one makes peace with one's enemies by negotiating with
them, not oppressing them.

I would like to underscore that the Presbyterian
Church (USA) action has not one whit of anti-Semitism
in it and we are saddened whenever that charge is even
whispered by our Jewish friends.

We believe that the Palestinians should have a viable
state just as Israel has attained. Personally I
believe it is only Israel that is preventing this
achievement, which is so sincerely wanted by everyone.
Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune