[Peace-discuss] News notes 041031

Morton K.Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 31 21:59:55 CST 2004

Good summary, Carl.

I wanted to mention that the claim by the pentagon for having "a
limited defense missile system in place by the year's end" is a lot of
baloney to justify all the money being wasted. The system is untested
in any realistic measure. Someday, as more billions are poured into it,
it may achieve some effectiveness, but that is not the case now; most
non-pentagon scientists are of this opinion. A sidelight: The U.S. is
now evidently threatening Europe's plans for its own global positioning
system---destroying the system if "necessary", for it would allow it
and other nations (China, Israel,…) to do what only the U.S. at present
can do effectively---pinpoint military objectives and guide missiles to
them.

mkb