[Peace-discuss] AWARE Minutes, Sept. 5

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 10:32:18 CDT 2004

AWARE Minutes: Sept. 5, 2004

Please feel free to make corrections, additions and
clarifications

Facilitator: David Green
Minutes: Wendy (thanks Wendy)

1.	Introductions: over 20 present

2.	News of the Week: Including Jan and Durl Kruse’s
report from NYC, perspectives on media coverage of
RNC.

3.	P4P – Ricky – We will permanently be moving to the
northwest side of Prospect and Marketview, next to the
Red Lobster. Informing police went well, although
Ricky did not know until 3:30 who the police contact
would be for the last ½ hour. A discussion of
eavesdropping laws ensued, with still some confusion.
This issue is being addressed by our legal counsel,
Robert Finch. Next demo, October 2.

4.	Legal Committee: Susan has not heard from Mr.
Finch. We will keep videotaping at P4P unless asked to
stop. The issue of eavesdropping has been
interestingly complicated by a concurrent case by the
police against two African-American Champaign
residents who have been taping police stops. They are
being charged, and their tape has been prevented from
being shown on UPTV. More information may be found at
the mediageek.org website. On September 8 (Wednesday)
at 3:30 at Courtroom F on Main Street, there will be a
hearing concerning charges against these two men.
Also, the News-Gazette has editorialized against this
anti-eavesdropping policy. Thanks to Carol Inskeep for
an overview of this complicated issue.

5.	Tabling: We’re no longer tabling at the Art
Theatre, until a more appropriate movie is being
shown. The Farmers’ Market took in more than $200
Saturday. We have more buttons on the way, anti-chief
bumper stickers, and deception dollars. Efforts should
be made to distribute more literature. There will also
be stamped postcards with Kerry address next week.
These should be actively distributed.

6.	Finances: $2584 is current balance, minus $500
payments, plus Saturday FM collection.

7.	WILL: Randall is being put off by Jay Pearce. He
should be e-mailed, especially by Friends of WILL, at
jhpearce at will.uiuc.edu, with our displeasure. This
issue is related to the UPTV issue, in terms of
censorship. The possibility of writing an op-ed
regarding this was discussed, and Al Kagan, Randall
Cotton, and David Green will meet to pursue this
before the meeting this Sunday. There is also a blog
through the WILL website that should be checked out.
This issue should be brought to a head as quickly as
possible.

8.	UPTV: Randall reminded of the meeting Monday,
September 13, at the Urbana City Building 400 S. Vine
St., noon. This is to protest censorship of Democracy
Now. We now have well over 1000 signature.

9.	Postcards for Peace: An event is planned for early
November, and Peter and Rebecca Rohloff have put out a
call to local artists. Much thanks to the Rohloffs for
taking the initiative on what promises to be a great
event.

10.	Elections panel: This Sunday, September 12, there
will be a discussion of election strategies prior to
the AWARE meeting, at 3:30 at the IMC. Susan Davis,
Mort Brussel, and David Green will lead this
discussion, based on articles that can be found at
znet.org.

11.	Military Recruitment in the School: This evolved
into two tracks, one to contact Joe Miller (Vietnam
Veterans Against the War), to speak regarding local
actions in schools. The second track concerns inviting
a compelling speaker, such as suggested by Mort
Brussel. A working group regarding the first track met
after the meeting.

12.	Co-sponsorship: Charlotte Green received approval
from AWARE to co-sponsor a Quaker speaker from Kenya,
Sept. 22, Wednesday, 7 p.m. at the Illinois Disciples
Foundation. Her name is Malesi Kinaro, and she will
speak about conditions in Central Africa-Burundi,
Rwanda, the Congo, etc. There will be an informal
meeting with her the following day.

13.	WEFT sponsorship: It was approved that Linda Evans
be allowed to exercise her judgment in extending our
sponsorship and support of WEFT, either for 6 months
or one year.

14.	Educational Film: It was agreed that the video
Hijacking Catastrophe will be shown prior to a meeting
in October. Bob Illyes has a copy of this film.

15.	On a personal note, I will be on News from Neptune
this Saturday at 10 on WEFT, discussing the issue of
the "new anti-Semitism" with Paul Mueth.