[Peace-discuss] Lesser evilism

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:46:27 CDT 2004

        The analysis here is wonderful, though the result is unfortunate.
         A Kerry victory would be disastrous from a Leftist perspective for
serveral reasons: the prime one having been mentioned by Phil. The recent
split between Western Europe and the U.S. that Bush has engineered has been
a good thing from the perspective of the oppressed people of the world who
have had to endure several centuries of Western Imperialism. Indeed, the
Washington consensus has even broken down as the IMF and World Bank have
turned into institutions that are ready and willing to call the U.S. out on
being a hypocrite for following fiscal policies that run contrary to what
they dump down the throats of the Developing World.
       I am in France right now, and I think it's fantastic being here at a
time when everyone hates America's president. It is more honest. They hate
America's policies and identities, but take it out on Bush. If Kerry wins,
nothing will change, but people might actually think we have a better
president. That would be disaster.
       THat said: I will be in Paris in November, and I will not be voting.
Even the "good" candidates (Obama?? Kucinich??...) ultimately have to take
an oath to the U.S. constitution if elected. This ancient, racist and
classist document ought have been entirely overturned in favor of a new
republic long ago. Any government that takes individual liberty as more
important than social welfare and comradery is distasteful from a Leftist
perspective.
      Furthermore, the way that the Democrats have run an anti-democratic
campaign to erase Nader from ballots in battleground states is putrid. How
can you support such an awful party that takes your donations of support and
invests them in engineering an American dictatorship (the perfect
dictatorship, where people go and vote and think that it means anything.)
       And you needn't worry about the Democrats losing Illinois. They will
steal it again, as they've done consistently since King Daley I brought
Chicago home for Kennedy in '68. This is why the Dems didn't contest Florida
more ferociously in 2000: they didn't want the Republicans to counter with:
"What about Chicago? What about Wisconsin? Michigan? New Mexico?....etc"
       Sort of like divorce proceedings where the man doesn't bring up the
woman's cocaine addiction for fear that she brings up his gambling
addiction.
      ANd as far as domestic issues go, since I know that everyone's afraid
that Bush will appoint a bunch of christian fundamentalist judges who will
engineer an American police state dictatorship....   Roe vs. Wade will not
be overturned as a result of 4 more years of Bush. The dems and republicans
both need roe vs. wade so that everyone in the U.S.A. can go and vote on the
issue of abortion, instead of (oh, I don't know) a living wage, war and
peace, feeding and clothing the homeless, eliminating third world debt,
stopping union-busting, etc..

     I apologize for strong words. I get worked up over this "Anybody but
Bush" disease that's spreading like the plague through the states.

-
matt