[Peace-discuss] The Supreme Court, and "lesser evilism"

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Fri Sep 17 20:09:01 CDT 2004

At the risk of having these arguments called "facile", I call your
attention to an article(on Common Dreams)  by Norman Solomon, also
facile (?), which brings up the danger to our justice/court system of a
Bush victory. Some evidently think this of negligible importance,
indeed diversionary, as long as the capitalist system persists.

I append a few quotes from Solomon's article, which, even if
repetitious, are worthy of repetition.

For the full article see:

MKB

"The big media themes about the 2004 presidential campaign have reveled
in vague rhetoric and flimsy controversies. But little attention has
focused on a matter of profound importance: Whoever wins the race for
the White House will be in a position to slant the direction of the
U.S. Supreme Court for decades to come.…
…
As opponents of abortion rights, civil liberties, gay rights and other
such causes work to gain a second term for George W. Bush, they try not
to stir up a mass-media ruckus that might light a fire under
progressives about the future of the Supreme Court and the rest of the
federal judiciary. Likewise, those on the left who don't want to back
Kerry even in swing states are inclined to dodge, or fog over, what
hangs in the balance. Kerry is hardly a champion of a progressive legal
system, but the contrast between his centrist orientation and the
right-wing extremism of the Bush-Cheney regime should be obvious. It's
too easy to opt for imagined purity while others will predictably have
to deal with very dire consequences.

  "The popular constituency of the Bush people, a large part of it, is
the extremist fundamentalist religious sector in the country, which is
huge," Noam Chomsky said in a recent interview with David Barsamian.
"There is nothing like it in any other industrial country. And they
have to keep throwing them red meat to keep them in line. While they're
shafting them in their economic and social policies, you've got to make
them think you're doing something for them. And throwing red meat to
that constituency is very dangerous for the world, because it means
violence and aggression, but also for the country, because it means
harming civil liberties in a serious way. The Kerry people don't have
that constituency. They would like to have it, but they're never going
to appeal to it much. They have to appeal somehow to working people,
women, minorities, and others, and that makes a difference."

  Chomsky added: "These may not look like huge differences, but they
translate into quite big effects for the lives of people. Anyone who
says 'I don't care if Bush gets elected' is basically telling poor and
working people in the country, 'I don't care if your lives are
destroyed. I don't care whether you are going to have a little money to
help your disabled mother. I just don't care, because from my elevated
point of view I don't see much difference between them.' That's a way
of saying, 'Pay no attention to me, because I don't care about you.'
Apart from its being wrong, it's a recipe for disaster if you're hoping
to ever develop a popular movement and a political alternative."

  Norman Solomon is co-author, with Reese Erlich, of "Target Iraq: What
the News Media Didn't Tell You." His columns and other writings can be
found at www.normansolomon.com.