[Peace-discuss] Suicides in Prison

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 11:08:48 CDT 2005

NY Times, 4-11-05

Suicides in Prison

To the Editor:

Re "Rikers Suicide Called a Glaring Example of Poor
Care" (news article, April 4): Every suicide is a
tragedy. Studies show that the suicide rate in jails
in the United States is about five times higher than
that of the general population. On Rikers Island, the
suicide rate in 2004 was less than half of the
national jail suicide rate of 54 per 100,000 inmates.

The real story here is even more tragic. Our nation's
correctional system is now one of the largest
institutional providers of mental health services,
with about 16 percent of its population suffering from
serious mental illness. The need to improve assessment
and treatment of mental illness throughout our
communities is clear.

Our agency is now directly monitoring the provision of
health and mental health services in the city's jails.
Working with the city's Correction Department, we are
committed to continuing to improve care and
accountability.

James Capoziello
New York, April 5, 2005
The writer is deputy commissioner, health care access
and improvement, New York City Department of Health
and Mental Hygiene.