[Peace-discuss] WEFT 90.1 - Your Radio Station!

Paul M. King pmking at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 12 15:14:16 CDT 2005

I just wanted to remind everyone that WEFT is in the middle of
pledge drive. We're in our second week and have only one more
week following this one. We've not been getting as many calls
as I hoped, so it's really important for you all to call in if
you value the station in general and the public programming in
particular.

Perhaps the easiest way to make a positive impact in the world
today is with our money. Merely by not spending it we're
capable of heroic feats such as saving acres of rainforest,
avoiding the forced displacement of indigenous tribes and
withdrawing financial sponsorship of American genocide in the
Middle East. The gas we burn, the taxes we pay and the
products we consume all reinforce a powerful and complex web
of destruction, exploitation and suffering.

If we take a proactive approach, though, rather than a
negative one of withholding, and spend our dollars on positive
products and services, we can not only avoid the perpetuation
of suffering but begin to treat the underlying causes. The
establishment of numerous virtuous cycles are required if we
are to seriously consider the project of dismantling and
reorganizing social and institutional injustices. Free and
open media is essential. The importance of community radio
cannot be overemphasized.

When you give your money to WEFT, think of it as giving the
middle finger to Bush and Cheney. Call today!

..:: Paul King