[Peace-discuss] Kevin Danaher at UIUC, April 29, 7PM 100 Greg Hall

Walling, Jennifer jwalling at law.uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 14 21:54:01 CDT 2005

Hey AWARE,

I wondered if you all could discuss co-sponsoring this lecture - "Corporate
Accountability and the Alternative Economy" by Dr. Kevin Danaher"  this at
your meeting on Sunday or the next Sunday.  Co-sponsorship will mean that
we'll put AWARE's name on the fliers that we are going to be starting to
distribute next Tuesday and announce AWARE's name as a co-sponsor at the
event.  In exchange, we would just like to be able to send the announcement
to your list serve :)  No money needed at all.

If I don't hear back from someone by Monday night, we can't put AWARE's name
on the poster, but we should be able to put AWARE's name on the announcement
that we e-mail if I hear back by the following Monday.
Also, we won't be providing full tables, but if anyone wants to put
something out on the welcome table, we're open to that. (Even if AWARE
doesn't co-sponsor this)

I hope you all will join Campus Greens in welcoming Kevin Danaher to UIUC.

Thanks
-Jen Walling
UIUC Campus Greens

FREE LECTURE!

"Corporate Accountability and the Alternative Economy"

Dr. Kevin Danaher, Global Exchange
When: Friday, April 29 at 7PM
Where: 100 Gregory Hall

As part of the UIUC Campus Greens' campaign to promote fair trade coffee and
chocolate in Champaign-Urbana, Kevin Danaher, co-founder of Global Exchange
will speak at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on April 29 at
7PM in Greg Hall.  Described by The New York Times as the "Paul Revere of
globalization's woes," Danaher's analytical expertise, sense of humor and
blunt eloquence make him an exceptionally dynamic speaker.

Kevin Danaher will discuss how corporate globalization is driven by the need
to turn nature into money and find the cheapest labor and how as an
alternative to this destructive practice, grassroots globalization is being
built by community-based organizations linking across their boundaries. He
will not only provides a detailed analysis of what is wrong, but he also
gives inspiring examples of what we can do to make things right!

Kevin Danaher's lecture is presented by the UIUC Campus Greens and
co-sponsored by the following organizations:

<Your Organization Name HERE>

Paid for by SORF

Kevin Danaher's Bio
For more on Kevin, see
http://www.globalexchange.org/getInvolved/speakers/56.html
<http://www.globalexchange.org/getInvolved/speakers/56.html>
Kevin Danaher, is Global Exchange's Director of Public Education. He has
written or edited many books examining US foreign policy and the global
economy. His most recent volume, 50 Years Is Enough: The Case Against the
World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, In Whose Interest: A Guide
to US-South Africa Relations, Can the Free Market Solve Africa's Food
Crisis, The Political Economy of US Policy Toward South Africa, South
Africa: A New US Policy for the 1990s, and Beyond Safaris: A Guide to
Building People-to-People Ties with Africa. He is currently working on a
book on the history of the corporate accountability movement.

Dr. Danaher has published articles in The Los Angeles Times, San Francisco
Chronicle, The International Herald Tribune, The Financial Times of
Zimbabwe, Africa News, TransAfrica Forum, Harvard Educational Review, Issue,
The Progressive and many other publications. His writing has covered
subjects such as "US Agriculture and Its Impact on Third World Farming,"
"Hidden Costs of the War with Iraq," and "Challenging the Leadership of the
World Economy."

Dr. Danaher has special expertise on the following subjects: globalization
and its impact here and abroad, the policies of the World Bank and
International Monetary Fund, US foreign policy, Southern Africa, Cuba,
Northern Ireland, world hunger, agricultural systems, and the global impact
of US trade policies.

Dr. Danaher received his doctorate in sociology from the University of
California at Santa Cruz in 1982. Before joining Global Exchange he was a
senior analyst at Food First/the Institute for Food and Development Policy,
an associate fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies in Washington, DC,
and for four years he taught in the School of Government at American
University. He currently lives in San Francisco with his wife, Medea
Benjamin, and his two daughters, Arlen and Maya.