[Peace-discuss] Citizens, Peace and Justice..

Carol George lifestratinst19 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 20 09:54:23 CDT 2005

BE Peace.  I'm sure by now  many of you have heard about the disparity study that needs to be done and is being held up by various members of the county board. Other Citizens of color and females who own business are recieving less than1% of all the contracts awarded to outside agencies for work done for the county.  That's right, 99% of all the lucrative contracts awarded to contractors by our County administrators are given to outfits that are predominately controlled by white males!!!!!  We need all who are Citizens to come out to the County Board Meeting (April 21, 2005 @ 7:00 p.m.) to stand with other Citizens and independent business administrators, that are being discriminated against.  They are being denied equal access to economic development and legitimate wealth by Champaign County and some of it's affiliates.  This racist and sexist practice must be exposed and eradicated immediately!!!  So come and join us in this unfortunate fight for equity, peace and justice.

 County board members (who's names I won't say now) have openly expressed that they already know the record of doing business with Citizens of color and females is dismal at best.  Everytime we bring the up the issue of the disparity study to these couple of county board members, they propose this new Pre-qualify idea that says, a "small" up and coming business could by pass being bonded as long as the  contract they worked under, didn't exceed 20,000 dollars.  Based upon the fact that the pre-qualifying proposal surfaces when the disparity discussion is intrduced, it is clear that the intent is that those two ostrosized groups of people would be the primary benficiaries of such a policy,  but, with NO guarantee that they would be the SOLE recipients of such a waiver!!!

Would the individuals selected or hired to administrate such a policy be told in some strange manner, to purposely show bias towards citizens of color and females, without having a proper, law mandated, disparity study done? That's criminal! ( the law states that in order for a body to enact something like affirmative action, then there must be a disparity study done to show a need).  Remember, pre-qualifying a vendor is nothing more than what they have already been doing, therefore, it will not address the pressing issues of racial disparities.

 We have enough going on in the way of guaranteed lawsuits, we don't need another.  I say we, because this is OUR County Government, that WE elected, so WE,  MUST BE CONCERNED about all violations, especially, these of such an obvious nature.

Clearly, we are being summoned by our elected county officials once again to assist them in finding their way to just do what's right.  This is our duty as American Citizens in the process of establishing a true Democracy!!   What a country?!!!

Anyone who would like to coordinate ideas please feel free to call us at home 344-1811 or 417-1835, if not, see you all at the meeting.  There is a meeting this evening at 6:30 p.m. at the Douglas Library to further discuss strategy.   BE Just!