[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] another nuclear power plant

Morton K.Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 21 12:12:26 CDT 2005

We have had nuclear wastes in the country for more than 40 years now,
and there have not been major health problems (Even considering Three
Mile Island). France has done quite well with its nuclear energy. The
question of where to store U.S. wastes is an unresolved political (more
so than technical) conundrum; I believe that it is a significant , but
not a very serious problem. Future reactors (so-called third
generation, fast neutron types) can have much less and shorter lived
radioactive wastes; they can burn much of their own toxic waste
(including Plutonium).

One ought to realize that current conventional power plants (mainly
coal, natural gas) are spewing (much) more hazardous waste into the air
and environment  (CO2, Mercury, etc.) than would equivalent nuclear
plants.

Alternative energy sources, energy  conservation, and nuclear energy
all will be needed in our energy future. And the future is just around
the corner.

--mkb