[Peace-discuss] FW: [Fwd: Back to School Events with our new DVD]

Marianne Brun manni at snafu.de
Sat Aug 20 11:24:10 CDT 2005

----------
Von: mark sullivan <sullivan at msu.edu>
Datum: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:06:01 -0400
An: Marianne Brun <manni at snafu.de>, arun chandra <arunc at evergreen.edu>,
stefan brun <brun_stefan at hotmail.com>, mark freeman <FAD99 at earthlink.net>
Betreff: [Fwd: Back to School Events with our new DVD]

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Back to School Events with our
new DVD Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:32:18 -0400 (EDT) From: Leave My Child
Alone Updates<leavemychildalone at lmca.leavemychildalone.org>
<mailto:leavemychildalone at lmca.leavemychildalone.org> To: sullivan at msu.edu

Dear Friends:

We wanted to keep you updated on Back-to-School with Leave My Child
Alone:

HOST A BACK TO SCHOOL EVENT!
Because most high schools turn over their student lists to military
recruiters in October, it's imperative that we get as many kids as
possible "opted out" during the month of September. Parents, teachers,
grandparents and concerned citizens are planning Leave My Child Alone
back-to-school events from September 7-30. It's easy to host an event
at your home or local coffee shop -- we provide you all the forms and
information you need, plus a FREE DVD on opting out FEATURING CINDY
SHEEHAN if you register with us online before Aug. 31. Go to
http://lmca.leavemychildalone.org/cgi-bin7/DM/y/ehY80FBuDy0QJO03W70E8 to
register an event now and help local parents opt out!

Event ideas include:
- Hosting a house party to talk with friends and neighbors about
protecting kids from the Pentagon, watch the new Leave My Child Alone
DVD (featuring Cindy Sheehan), and write letters to your local
superintendent and school board to adopt Optimum Opt Out policies.
- Passing out opt-out forms at a local high school's parents' night.
- Organizing a school board meeting outing to sure your local district
is educating parents about their ability to opt out.
- Tabling outside the first day of school to give opt-out forms to
students to bring home to parents.

If you're interested in any of these options (or have your own
creative ideas) you can find materials and a way to let other local
Leave My Child Alone supporters know at
http://lmca.leavemychildalone.org/cgi-bin7/DM/y/ehY80FBuDy0QJO03W70E8 .

SCHOOL BOARD SUCCESS STORY
Local parents in the Houston, Texas, area got together for a Leave My
Child Alone house party on June 1 (one of over 140 such gatherings!).
They decided there was a lot of work to be done, so they created a
game plan and were successful in convincing five area school districts
to send opt out forms and notices to parents for the first time ever.
Tens of thousands of children will be affected by their work this
fall.

Want to create change in your local district's policy?  Or do you have
a success story to share? Email our school district policy expert Josh
at jsonnenfeld at workingassets.com.

DON'T MISS FALL OPT-OUT DEADLINES!
While most school districts hand over information to recruiters in
October, some opt-out deadlines are as early as September!  You need
to opt out your kids (or tell your friends to opt out) now. Even if
your children are in a private school that is exempt from No Child
Left Behind disclosure requirements, their names are probably still in
the Pentagon's database of 16-25 year olds.  You can use our one-stop
opt-out site to generate letters to both your local district and the
Pentagon. Just click on the link below to start the opt out process:
http://lmca.leavemychildalone.org/cgi-bin7/DM/y/ehY80FBuDy0QJO03W80EA

PASS IT ON!
Are all the parents and students on your email list aware of their
ability to opt out?  Do you know grandparents, teachers or others who
could help spread the word?  Please forward this email to your friends
and family to make sure all our children can be opted out in time this
fall.  Think they need more information?  They can find out more about
Leave My Child Alone at:
http://lmca.leavemychildalone.org/cgi-bin7/DM/y/ehY80FBuDy0QJO0yo80Ei

Thanks for all the work you do for students in your community.  We'll
look forward to seeing your event posted on our site at
http://lmca.leavemychildalone.org/cgi-bin7/DM/y/ehY80FBuDy0QJO03W70E8 .

Catherine Geanuracos
Campaign Organizer
Leave My Child Alone Coalition / Working Assets

YOU ARE SUBSCRIBED AS: sullivan at msu.edu

If you do not wish to receive updates about ways you can make
     your voice heard:

Please click on the following link to unsubscribe to this newsletter.
&email=sullivan at msu.edu

If you do not have Internet access, please send a blank e-mail to
     unsubscribelmca at lmca.leavemychildalone.org.

PLEASE NOTE: THIS ADDRESS IS FOR UNSUBSCRIBE REQUESTS ONLY.
     INQUIRIES SENT TO THIS ADDRESS WILL NOT BE READ. You may receive
one
     additional newsletter while we process your request.

PLEASE SEND QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS TO:
leavemychildalone at workingassets.com.

   http://lmca.leavemychildalone.org/cgi-bin7/DM/y/ehY80FBuDy0QJO0yo80Ei