[Peace-discuss] Wallerstein on the war

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 17:13:51 CDT 2005

Suddenly Stormin' Norman is trying to give the Left a little kick in the
rear?  This is the man who was one of the most vocal apologists for the
Democrats and their War Party agenda throughout last year's election --- and
hypocritically used smear tactics to keep people from voting for one of the
anti-war presidential candidates.

The piece below is not saying anything that Wallerstein would deny (I
haven't read the Rich piece because my online NYTimes subscription doesn't
allow access to the editorial page).
Wallerstein is a fairly traditional Marxist thinker, who sees imperialist
warfare by capitalist powers as a natural process. He understands, thus,
that the goal of the American imperial machine is to create an Iraqi state
that functions as a puppet of the American government: where elctions are
merely a charade like they are at home, intended to mask the inherently
un-democratic nature of capitalism. This will probably not be accomplished
in Iraq.
Meanwhile, the Sunni resistance will probably not be shut down by the
American military, especially not in the face of increasing distaste for the
war within the American public at large.

Doesn't mean that Bush and co won't try to save face, and that this saving
of face won't be bloody and wholly immoral.

But I believe that the point is that making the argument that the "war is
lost" can help win support over from centrists Americans, and eventually
succeed in making the war end immediately.

Cindy Sheehan supports an immediate withdrawal, and Immanuel Wallerstein
almost certainly does.
Norman Soloman, if one takes into consideration his love for the Dems last
year, is not as moral as either of these two in this regard.

Cheers,
matt