[Peace-discuss] Wallerstein on the war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 22 22:11:24 CDT 2005

Matt--

I think you're not being quite fair to Solomon.  I think your
animus against him for supporting "strategic voting" (which
people as different as I, Paul Mueth and Noam Chomsky also
supported) leads you to misconstrue his position as "one of
the most vocal apologists for the Democrats and their War
Party agenda."  Here he is arguing with someone who really
does fit that description, the awful Clintonoid Sidney Blumenthal:

 SOLOMON: ...Under Howard Dean, the Democratic Party in the
United States now has a pro-war position. Let me repeat that.
The Democratic Party has a pro-war position as the war in Iraq
continues. And so, how well-positioned is the Democratic Party
and its leadership, such as it is, to raise these issues about
lies on behalf of war and also raise these issues about the
meaningfulness of this war. When -- during the Vietnam War,
and I know Sid Blumenthal, as well as myself, were active in
writing about that war at the time, we had a situation where
there were many people in the Congress who had a similar
position to Howard Dean and most in the Democratic Party
leadership today on this war. During the Vietnam War, they
said, “Well, we can’t cut and run. We can't pull out.” That
was a pro-war position. And so what kind of political
discourse can we have about lies about a war that continues
right now? One other thing I'd like to mention. In 1968, as
previously, and I was able to hear this in person at a Senate
Foreign Relations Committee hearing in 1968, Senator Wayne
Morris, the senior Senator from Oregon, a Democrat said, and
I'm quoting here from transcript, “I do not intend to put the
blood of this war on my hands.” Here we are in the midst of
the Iraq war, and I am looking for one United States senator
willing to say that he or she is unwilling to put the blood of
this war on his or her hands. We don't have a single senator
today willing to say that...

<http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/07/15/1340214>

You may well be right that Wallerstein would accept Solomon's
argument here (I'll send you the Rich piece separately), but I
think that he'd be unhappy with your description of him as a
Marxist. A generation ago, when he began elaborating his
"world-systems theory," he meant it precisely as an
alternative to contemporary Marxist general histories, such as
those of Perry Anderson (PASSAGES FROM ANTIQUITY TO FEUDALISM;
LINEAGES OF THE ABSOLUTIST STATE -- which I still admire).

You're unfortunately right, tho' -- and Wallerstein and
Solomon (and I) would agree -- that "the goal of the American
imperial machine is to create an Iraqi state that functions as
a puppet of the American government." And, altho' we may
disagree over whether the system is capitalist in a way that
the old man in the British Museum would have understood it, we
would certainly agree that it's un-(indeed anti-)democratic.
We would all also agree that "Bush and co [will] try to save
face, and that this saving of face [will] be bloody and wholly
immoral."

You differ with Solomon on the political and rhetorical
effect of asserting that the "war is lost." You think it "can
help win support over from centrist Americans, and eventually
succeed in making the war end immediately." Solomon (and I)
think the opposite, not least because the assertion isn't
true.  Remember that the US won the war in Vietnam, not in
that it achieved its maximum war aims, but rather its
fundamental one -- demonstrating that no third-world country
would be allowed to pursue independent political and economic
development without coordinating it with the US "over-all
frame-work of order."  (Vietnam now begs for Nike plants.)

Finally, you're quite right that the proper demand is
immediate withdrawal, which Cindy Sheehan splendidly supports.
You and I do, too, and so does Norman Solomon.

Regards, Carl