[Peace-discuss] Robertson calls for Chavez assassination

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 15:56:53 CDT 2005

Look, Robert, I have never once criticized your
religion or beliefs, a respect that apparently isn't
mutual.  And I happen to know there are a lot of
hardworking leftists who do not "hate" religious
people or "mock" them -- a lot of leftists ARE
religious, in fact.  And if you had spent as much time
as I have in churches with my fellow leftist
materialist atheists, listening respectfully to the
religious motivations that many people have for
joining leftist causes, you wouldn't make such
generalizations.

As to Robertson, he isn't worthy of your defense.  He
has a long history of entanglement in rightwing
causes.  I specifically wondered how the religious
RIGHT would respond, because Robertson is one of them
-- and I ASSUME the religious left won't like what he
said.  So what the latter will say or do seems
immaterial -- like wondering whether folks in AWARE
will like his little crack.

Chavez certainly has his flaws, as does FARQ and as
does AIM -- leaving aside the hypocrisy of a white guy
calling Ward Churchill a "wannabe" Indian -- but does
that mean it's okay to assassinate him?  Who else
should we assassinate?  Maybe the President of France?
 Or Spain - they pulled out of Iraq AND they're
letting gays get married there! - or maybe just
ordinary folks who oppose the war or don't share our
beliefs in some way?  In what "context" is this okay?

I'm not advocating that Robertson be, well,
assassinated or anything, or tried (after all he
hasn't actually assassinated anyone), just criticizing
-- and, because he as his followers, and allies,
asking who among them has the guts to say that he is
way out of line on this even if they share his beliefs
on other topics.  Apparently, at least in some small
way, it was the right question to ask.

I hope you see my point.

Ricky

--- Robert Dunn <prorobert8 at hotmail.com> wrote:

---------------------------------

well it all depends on what the religious left is
going to be doing. Oh, yeah, thats right if you
believe in God seriously are religious publicly in
defiance of the ACLU, then the Left hates you and
mocks you. Yeah, too bad those evangelical Christians
who are anti-war were shown the boot, the left could
have used them. But i now know why that had to happen,
The Left not only hates people who believe in a higher
power than the New York Times, they think they are
God!

who besides me actually saw him say that on the 700
club? That quote has been taken out of context. And
why is the Left so enthralled with this guy? According
to the American Indian Movement composed of real
Indians, not the fake Ward Churchill, wannabee types,
Chavez is responsible for dozens of massacres of
indigenous peoples, and supporting the FARQ, which the
LEFT worships at the altar apparently, who was
responsible for the murder of Ingrid Washinawatok sp,
a member of AIM.

Can someone answer those questions for me, and why is
the Left so hostile to religious people when it
actually should be trying to get more evangelicals on
their side? But, the atheistic materialistic, moral
relativistic folks who have hijacked the Left.

Robert in Southern Cal