[Peace-discuss] Obama

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 26 16:37:23 CDT 2005

Of course, individuals are empowered to write whatever they like in
their own names, but when it comes to an AWARE position, I am sure most
of us want to be more deliberate. We have already got quite a bit of
feedback on how we approached the Obama event, and I have participated
in several very useful and self-critical discussions.  I am looking
forward to further discussion at our meeting on Sunday night.

I think we are very lucky that several members of the African-American
community have come forward to tell us about their reactions to the
event.  We need to pay attention and digest these perceptions.
Immediate defensive reactions can't serve our purposes.  We need to
seriously think about how we get to where we want to go, that is, we
need to find ways to reach people who may be receptive to our politics
but don't read what we read, watch what we watch, and discuss what we
discuss all the time.  Our own perceptions of how we organize are
limited. Constructive criticism from outside can be quite valuable.

I think we have already learned that the African-American community
sees Obama very differently than most of us in AWARE.   Obama is seen
as an advocate for African-Americans on domestic issues.  I haven't
carefully studied his record, but I imagine there is good reason for
this perception.  Even if he doesn't have much of a record yet, he does
talk the talk and he is convincing.  He gives a good speech.  He is
seen as a bit of hope rather than politics as usual.

If we are going to be serious about our anti-racism work, we need to
understand these perceptions and build our message around what folks
are thinking.  I am not suggesting that we change our opinions, I am
suggesting that we need to organize better.  We need to clearly state
our anti-racist views at the same time we advocate our anti-war
positions.  We need to show some respect for Obama's domestic agenda
and advocacy for the black community at the same time we try to
influence him to change his foreign policy positions.  We need to
remind him of his anti-war position before the war, and urge him to
reconsider.  As a politician, he should not want to be too far behind
his constituency for a long period of time.  I don't think we should be
calling him a warmonger, rather we should be trying to engage him in a
productive dialog to show him the winds of change.

To sum up, we need to be sensitive to the perceptions of the black
community.  To be taken seriously by the black community, we need to
treat black politicians differently than white politicians. We need to
clearly state our anti-racist values in the course of our work.  We
need to forthrightly criticize in a constructive way, with the ultimate
aim of changing Obama's and others' foreign policy positions.  We need
to engage black politicians, not beat them up.

Al Kagan
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801