[Peace-discuss] Obama and the anti-war movement

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 26 17:41:23 CDT 2005

"...we need to treat black politicians differently than white
politicians..."

That's dangerous, Al.  Are you really saying that we should
say to Obama, "Look, your views on the war are as bad as the
typical white Democratic senator, but since you're black, we
won't condemn them quite so clearly"?  That's patronizing, if
not hypocritical or worse.

And where does it stop?
  --to Hillary: "Look, your views on the war are as bad as the
typical male Democratic senator, but since you're a woman, we
won't condemn them quite so clearly"?
  --to Joe Lieberman: "Look, your views on the war are as bad
as the typical gentile Democratic senator, but since you're
Jewish, we won't condemn them quite so clearly"?

I suppose we could concentrate on (while male gentile) Richard
"The Troops are Nazis" Durbin, as the guy in the DI called him
this morning.  --CGE