[Peace-discuss] Obama and the anti-war movement

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 27 14:41:14 CDT 2005

Identity Politics: Since this is something that so clearly differentiates
the American Left from the Left in most other countries, I believe that it
must have a role in explaining the feeble state of affairs here.
Lefty politics in the United States boil down primarily to not what one does
nor believes, but what one says or looks like: and whether it fits a
stringent script of what is allowable (or even cool...)

One in a long list of examples: Hunter S. Thompson was widely shunned by the
American Left for being a critic of PC-politics and for being a gun
advocate. He didn't fit the scripted identity perfectly, so thus was written
off despite being one real institutional pain in the ass to Richard Nixon
and the cultural cleansing of successive conservative administrations.

1968 was an important turning point, and can probably be read as partially
"where the left went wrong." As syndicalists and situationists were flirting
with control of the Parisian state apparatus,, "radicals" in the US were
experimenting with acid and long hair. The Americans weren't talking about
struggle against the state and business interests: their focus was cultural
revolution.

The slippery slope was then in place: from there on "cool" has been the goal
of budding Leftist children. But it wasn't just the radicals who wanted to
be "cool," the parties in power would love for an opportunity to align
themselves with this all-powerful identity. Over time, monied interests
fully took control of the minions, as now "cool" is handed down by the
corporate thugs in charge...largely emanating from that ever godly presence,
MTV.

Identity Politics run completely contrary to the goals of the Left, which
should be understood as greater democratization and economic equality. PC is
one way to seem "cool" at UFPJ conferences and the like. But if we actually
want to liberate Iraqis from the American yoke, it might require being a bit
more innovative than PC allows.

cheers,
mer