[Peace-discuss] Smear her rather than hear her.

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 31 09:16:43 CDT 2005

Joe Wilson on the Sheehan Controversy

Statement by Former Ambassador Joseph Wilson

  The Bush White House and its right wing allies are responding to Cindy Sheehan and
the military families' vigil in Central Texas in the same way that they always
respond to bad news -by unleashing personal attacks and smears against her.

  This White House never wants an open public discussion, and it certainly never
wants to be told that it is wrong. It always tries to change the message by attacking
the messenger.

  They did it with former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill when he wrote a book that
suggested that the White House used 9/11 as an excuse to invade Iraq.

  They did it when Richard Clarke revealed that the White House ignored warnings
about Bin Laden.

  They did it in a most despicable way, as everybody now knows, when they revealed
my wife's identity as a CIA employee because they were unhappy when I spoke the truth
and told the American people that President Bush's claim was false concerning
Niger's giving uranium to Iraq, part of the trumped up rationale for our invasion.

  So no one should be surprised that when these mothers and families who have lost
loved ones in Iraq step up to question the President, the White House responds not
with the respect due them, but with hateful attacks and smears. But enough is enough.
Ours is a government of the people, by the people and for the people; and the people
in the name of Cindy Sheehan are right in demanding accountability for the tragedy
foisted upon our great nation by this administration. To smear her rather than hear
her is un-American and undemocratic.

http://mail.yahoo.com