[Peace-discuss] Obama continues to support the war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 6 10:03:48 CST 2005

  Chicago Tribune - December 6, 2005
  Obama: Iraq war splits Democrats
  By Jeff Zeleny and Rick Pearson
  Tribune staff reporters

Sen. Barack Obama said Monday that the Democratic Party was
unlikely
to reconcile its differences and reach a unified strategy for
Iraq,
conceding: "The politics and the policy of this may not match
perfectly."

As Democrats work to win control of Congress in the 2006
elections,
Obama (D-Ill.) said a cacophony of views over the Iraq war
threatens
to divide the party once again.

"It is arguable that the best politics going into '06 would be a
clear succinct message: `Let's bring our troops home,' " Obama
said.
"It's certainly easier to communicate and I think would
probably have
some pretty strong resonance with the American people right
now, but
whether that's the best policy right now, I don't feel
comfortable
saying it is."

In an interview with the Tribune's editorial board, Obama
renewed his
opposition to immediately pulling troops from Iraq. A growing
number
of Democrats and liberal groups have called for a troop
withdrawal,
while party leaders such as Sens. Joseph Lieberman of
Connecticut and
Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York have dismissed such efforts as
dangerously misguided.

"It's a little too early to tell how coherent the Democratic
message
is," Obama said. If quick progress isn't made in Iraq, he added,
"you're probably going to see strong differences within the party
leadership about how to proceed."

The senator also said the U.S. must accept the outcome of next
week's
Iraqi parliamentary elections, even if the results are not
precisely
what President Bush may hope for in the administration's quest to
bring peace and democracy to the Middle East.

"Not only would it be disastrous from a public relations point of
view," Obama said, "but I think it would be morally
objectionable for
us to backtrack on the notion that the Iraqi people should make
decisions about their own lives."

In a wide-ranging discussion as his first year in office draws
to a
close, Obama said, "there could have been more honesty" as the
president argued his case for war. But he stopped short of saying
that Bush lied to the American people.

"At one town meeting someone said: `Shouldn't the president be
impeached for lying?' " Obama recalled. "And I said, `Well,
FDR, JFK,
LBJ -- we have a pretty long list of presidents who maybe were
not
entirely forthcoming with intelligence information before they
went
to war, so I'd be cautious against making legal cases against the
administration.' "

Obama said his decision to oppose the confirmation of Chief
Justice
John Roberts Jr. was "the most difficult vote" of the year. He
said
he has not decided whether to support the nomination of Judge
Samuel
Alito but added he is "disturbed with the pattern of his case
law,
primarily because it never surprises."

Gov. Rod Blagojevich sent a letter Monday to Obama and Sen. Dick
Durbin (D-Ill.), urging them to consider memos Alito wrote two
decades ago that Blagojevich said "threatened" abortion rights.

Obama said he is more troubled by Alito's record as a federal
appellate judge.

"I'm very cautious about attributing a lot of weight to
statements
that were made 20 or 30 years ago," Obama said.

"There's an amazing consistency in which he is ruling for the
more
powerful against the less powerful, across the board," Obama
added.
"And, that concerns me. That makes me suspicious."