[Peace-discuss] News from Ann Arbor

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 10:31:13 CST 2005

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 08:18:16 -0500
   From: Henry Herskovitz <hersko at umich.edu>
Subject: Report on Beth Israel vigil 12-03-2005

Dershowitz Protest - Success or Failure?

Some local criticism aside, everybody attending - 25
people plus Baby
J and Star the Wonder Dog - had positive feelings that
we were not
letting the powerful Jewish Federation of Washtenaw
get away with
waltzing Alan Dershowitz into town "unappreciated".
Big thanks go out
to our friends in Toledo, but where were the student
activists, and
those from nearby Dearborn? The event produced two Ann
Arbor News
articles, and Jewish Witnesses for Peace and Friends
was mentioned in
both. See entire articles below signature, and visit
photographs at
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~hersko/Photos/ Here's
one ...

[]

After the Protest

Videographer Jon H. went inside the lobby of the
Marriott right after
the outdoor protest, hoping to film the rest of us as
we entered the
door. To his surprise, he was confronted with a fairly
belligerent
'Marriott Director of Catering Sales' Barry Phillips
who employed the
rule of "no photographs in the lobby", though when
asked, did not
produce the rule. Compounding this intrusion on our
hotel guests in
the lobby, Samantha Buescher*, owner of the security
services
employed by the Marriott, also stipulated an
unsubstantiated rule
that only four guests could be in the lobby, and that
she was going
to have her men "clear out the lobby", which they did.
Samantha also
demanded that our own Marcia F "stop talking to the
children", who
were providing musical entertainment for Dershowitz's
flock. She then
had the temerity to tell this writer that she "wasn't
taking sides,
just doing my job". Right.

After the "Big Event"

This writer was able only to identify two Ann Arbor
City Council
members - Woods and Lowenstein (though there might
have been others)
- as they left the conference. As taxpayers in this
town, it is
painful for JWPF members to see our duly elected
officials helping an
event that raises money for the State of Israel, which
was founded
and continues to exist on the subjugation and physical
removal of the
Palestinian people. We can only hope that our
continued presence will
bring an awareness to these council members, which
will convince them
to engage in more just and democratic activities.

Getting Colder

Saturday: 23 degrees and overcast conditions greeted
15 vigillers, a
number augmented by the brief appearance of three JWPF
members. One
woman enthusiastically greeted us, held our hands and
said she so
much appreciated what we were doing. And it was almost
with a tone of
apology that she explained she was attending Beth
Israel merely to
celebrate a young friend's Bat Mitzvah. She needed no
explanation -
JWPF encourages attendance at the synagogue. We have
never attempted
to deny access, in fact we have always encouraged it.

Reject Israeli Apartheid,
Henry Herskovitz
Jewish Witnesses for Peace and Friends
<http://www.a2vigil.org/>http://www.a2vigil.org

* - Crime Prevention Security
      741 Emerick St.
      Ypsilanti, MI 48198
       734-480-2777

Pickets protest Dershowitz speech

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-15/1133538021235150.xml?aanews?NEA&coll=2

Interfaith Council asks group to end protests at
synagogue
Friday, December 2, 2005
BY CATHERINE O'DONNELL
News Staff Reporter

The Interfaith Council for Peace & Justice is asking
the group that
protested legal activist Alan Dershowitz's talk in
Ypsilanti on
Thursday to cease similar protests it's held at Beth
Israel
Congregation in Ann Arbor.

Jewish Witnesses for Peace has been outside Beth
Israel during
Saturday morning services the past two years,
protesting Israel's
occupation of Palestinian territory. The group's
leader, Henry
Herskovitz, also is pushing Beth Israel for sit-down
talks about the
Palestinian occupation.

Outside the Ypsilanti Marriott at Eagle Crest on
Thursday, the group
carried signs protesting the occupation and accusing
Dershowitz of
plagiarizing from Joan Peters' book, "From Time
Immemorial: The
Origins of the Arab-Jewish Conflict Over Palestine."
Security
officials said about 20 protesters stood outside the
building for
most of the event.

In an interview before his speech at the Washtenaw
County Jewish
Federation's fifth annual Main Event, Dershowitz
defended his work,
saying he cited Peters eight times in his book, "The
Case for
Israel," and included a footnote distancing himself
from her
conclusions.

The Interfaith Council, which has 2,500 members mostly
from area
religious groups, sent a letter to the Jewish
Witnesses on Oct. 27,
asking the group to stop the protests at Beth Israel.

"This has come to be experienced as harassment by
almost everyone at
the synagogue, including those who oppose the
occupation," stated the
letter. "Everyone is focused on the vigils rather than
the occupation."

The letter was signed by the Rev. Joe Summers,
president of the
council's steering committee. The committee is a panel
of 15 council
members, about a third of whom are leaders of faith
communities in
the Ann Arbor area.

Interfaith Council Director Chuck Warpehoski said that
18 months ago,
Jewish Witnesses asked his group to weigh in on the
Beth Israel
matter, but formulating a response had taken time.
Warpehoski said he
understands that the Jewish Witnesses mean well, but
the
demonstrations are counterproductive.

"When I talk with people of faith, they find it harder
to speak out
about peace," Warpehoski said. "They're concerned
about the
Palestinians but don't want to get lumped in with
Henry's group."

Warpehoski also said the council is forming a
multidenomination task
force to find common ground on the occupation.

The Jewish Witnesses has replied to the council letter
and asked the
interfaith group to prove its allegations. Herskovitz,
the group's
leader, said the council has not replied to that
request.

"I see this as a continuation of the power elite
flexing its muscles
and having various groups respond," Herskovitz said.

Herskovitz also said he and his group will stop what
they call vigils
if Beth Israel invites them inside the synagogue for
substantive
discussions on the occupation.

Staff reporter Art Aisner contributed to this report.
Catherine
O'Donnell can be reached at codonnell at annarbornews.com
or 734-994-6831.

The case for balance in viewing Israel Noted lawyer
presents his
argument

http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-15/1133538129235150.xml?aanews?NEA&coll=2

Friday, December 2, 2005
BY ART AISNER
News Staff Reporter

Alan Dershowitz has been asked the question so many
times now that he
laughs when he hears it.

How can one of America's premier legal scholars, who
has focused his
career on protecting equality and preserving civil
liberties, be a
vocal advocate for the state of Israel at the same
time?

"The only question I'm asked more is, 'How I could
defend all those
people,"' the Harvard law professor and author said
with a smile.

But just as he counseled high-profile and seemingly
guilty clients,
such as O.J. Simpson and Claus Von Bulow, over the
years, Dershowitz
is unmistakably serious about presenting the case for
a strong and
thriving Israel.

"What's the conflict?" Dershowitz posed to the more
than 700 people
in attendance Thursday night at the Jewish Federation
of Washtenaw
County's fifth annual Main Event. He delivered the
keynote speech.

"I support Israel precisely because I am a civil
libertarian.
Precisely because I've devoted my life to human rights
and precisely
because I've always defended the underdog when they've
been wrongly
accused," he said.

As Dershowitz delivered the keynote speech inside,
about 20 members
of Jewish Witnesses for Peace carried signs outside
the Ypsilanti
Marriott at Eagle Crest Marriott protesting Israel's
occupation of
Palestinian territory. They also accused Dershowitz of
plagiarizing
from Joan Peters' book, "From Time Immemorial: The
Origins of the
Arab-Jewish Conflict Over Palestine."

In an interview before his speech, Dershowitz said he
cited Peters
eight times in his book, "The Case for Israel," and
included a
footnote distancing himself from her conclusions. "I
will donate
$1,000 to the Jewish Witnesses if they can identify a
single sentence
that has been borrowed from Joan Peters without citing
her directly
or as a secondary source," Dershowitz said.

During his speech, Dershowitz called the protesters
hindrances to
peace and criticized their ongoing protests outside
Beth Israel
during Saturday morning services the past two
years."Don't believe
the people standing outside the (synagogue) in Ann
Arbor," Dershowitz
said, receiving a round of applause. "They are
literally encouraging
terrorism by sending a double negative message. The
message to
Palestinians is: Don't compromise. The message to
Israel is: What
good does the pain (of concessions) do you? You get no
benefit from
these radicals who keep criticizing you just as
stridently after you
make compromises."

One of the protest leaders, Henry Herskovitz of Ann
Arbor, called
Dershowitz a shill for Israel. Dershowitz said his
defense of Israel
is based on international law and a historical
narrative that he says
are increasingly under attack on college campuses and
in communities
nationwide. He's written several best-selling books on
Middle East
peace, and he has spoken out on behalf of Israel's
rights of
self-defense and self-determination on television, in
academic
debates and speaking tours.

Israel's detractors argue that the creation of the
Jewish state is
discriminatory and that its government has subjected
Palestinians to
an oppressive occupation.

Dershowitz said those criticisms come without
acknowledging the
country's strong record with regard to religious
freedom and the
rights of women, homosexuals and the physically and
mentally
disabled. They also ignore a progressive supreme court
that has ruled
in favor of free speech, dissent and an open political
process while
repeatedly overruling army and government policies to
the benefit of
Palestinians.

Dershowitz said those critics have created an
illusionary dilemma for
liberals that they shouldn't buy into.

Ann Arbor resident Alida Silverman doesn't.

"It used to be, in my parents' generation, that you
supported Israel
without question on anything," said Silverman, a New
York native who
moved to Ann Arbor more than 30 years ago.
"Governments come and go
and each issue is different, but you can support
Israel and their
right to exist without agreeing with everything they
do."

Dershowitz isn't without criticism for Israel, either.

He said he believes retaining control of cities
heavily populated by
Palestinians following the 1967 Six Day War was a huge
mistake that
complicates the conflict today. Also, Jewish
settlements established
in largely Palestinian-populated regions are not
pragmatic for a
two-state solution, which he supports.

Although viewed as a hawk by his critics, Dershowitz
said he believes
in a viable, economically thriving Palestinian state
bordering Israel
that is based on demographics and negotiations. He
supports
withdrawal from territories captured in 1967, dividing
Jerusalem
between the nations and some recognition of
Palestinian refugees. All
would be considered dovish philosophies in Israel
today, he said.

Ann Arbor resident Aaron Ahuvia, a board member of the
Jewish
Alliance for Justice and Peace - a national
organization that is
often critical of the Israeli government but committed
to the
country's well-being through negotiated peace with
Palestinians -
said he was pleased to hear Dershowitz's stance on
Jerusalem.

"I'm glad he said it because I think the people in
this room trust
Alan Dershowitz, and they need to hear it from someone
they trust,"
said Ahuvia, adding that resolving the Jerusalem
question fairly will
be the key to any viable peace agreement.

Ahuvia, an associate professor of marketing at the
University of
Michigan-Dearborn, said Dershowitz's speech showed
that he maintains
many core liberal ideals and supports Israel making
painful
compromises for peace.

The only significant difference between the arguments
made by
Dershowitz on Thursday and Ahuvia's organization, he
said, was where
the blame for past failures lie. Ahuvia said leaders
on both sides
are responsible for repeated cycles of violence, while
Dershowitz
views Israel as a flexible, peace-seeking nation and
Palestinians as
rejectionists.

However, Dershowitz said, new Palestinian leadership
and the birth of
a potentially powerful centrist party led by Israeli
Prime Minister
Ariel Sharon can hopefully bring about a "season of
peace" he said.

"I believe the elements are all in place, we must
simply let it
happen. But it has to be a peace based on pragmatism,
not promises," he
said.

Art Aisner can be reached at aaisner at annarbornews.com
or (734)