[Peace-discuss] Lying abroad

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 8 09:40:23 CST 2005

[A 17th-century English diplomat said that an ambassador was
an "honest man sent to lie abroad for the good of his
country." Our present Secretary of State is not a man, we have
little reason to believe that she's honest, and her lies are
not for the good of her country but for that of her
co-conspirators and the small class in whose interest they
rule.  But today her lies about US torture seem to be working
in Europe. Another example of this US diplomatic approach --
brazen mendacity -- was described by playwright Harold Pinter
in his Nobel prize speech this week.  --CGE]

[Video at
<http://nobelprize.org/literature/laureates/2005/pinter-lecture.html>.]

<http://nobelprize.org/literature/laureates/2005/pinter-lecture-e.html>

[...]

The truth is something entirely different. The truth is to do
with
how the United States understands its role in the world and
how it
chooses to embody it.

But before I come back to the present I would like to look at the
recent past, by which I mean United States foreign policy
since the
end of the Second World War. I believe it is obligatory upon
us to
subject this period to at least some kind of even limited
scrutiny,
which is all that time will allow here.

Everyone knows what happened in the Soviet Union and throughout
Eastern Europe during the post-war period: the systematic
brutality,
the widespread atrocities, the ruthless suppression of
independent
thought. All this has been fully documented and verified.

But my contention here is that the US crimes in the same
period have
only been superficially recorded, let alone documented, let alone
acknowledged, let alone recognised as crimes at all. I believe
this
must be addressed and that the truth has considerable bearing on
where the world stands now. Although constrained, to a certain
extent, by the existence of the Soviet Union, the United States'
actions throughout the world made it clear that it had
concluded it
had carte blanche to do what it liked.

Direct invasion of a sovereign state has never in fact been
America's
favoured method. In the main, it has preferred what it has
described
as 'low intensity conflict'. Low intensity conflict means that
thousands of people die but slower than if you dropped a bomb
on them
in one fell swoop. It means that you infect the heart of the
country,
that you establish a malignant growth and watch the gangrene
bloom.
When the populace has been subdued - or beaten to death - the
same
thing - and your own friends, the military and the great
corporations, sit comfortably in power, you go before the
camera and
say that democracy has prevailed. This was a commonplace in US
foreign policy in the years to which I refer.

The tragedy of Nicaragua was a highly significant case. I
choose to
offer it here as a potent example of America's view of its
role in
the world, both then and now.

I was present at a meeting at the US embassy in London in the
late 1980s.

The United States Congress was about to decide whether to give
more
money to the Contras in their campaign against the state of
Nicaragua. I was a member of a delegation speaking on behalf of
Nicaragua but the most important member of this delegation was a
Father John Metcalf. The leader of the US body was Raymond Seitz
(then number two to the ambassador, later ambassador himself).
Father
Metcalf said: 'Sir, I am in charge of a parish in the north of
Nicaragua. My parishioners built a school, a health centre, a
cultural centre. We have lived in peace. A few months ago a
Contra
force attacked the parish. They destroyed everything: the
school, the
health centre, the cultural centre. They raped nurses and
teachers,
slaughtered doctors, in the most brutal manner. They behaved like
savages. Please demand that the US government withdraw its
support
from this shocking terrorist activity.'

Raymond Seitz had a very good reputation as a rational,
responsible
and highly sophisticated man. He was greatly respected in
diplomatic
circles. He listened, paused and then spoke with some gravity.
'Father,' he said, 'let me tell you something. In war, innocent
people always suffer.' There was a frozen silence. We stared
at him.
He did not flinch.

Innocent people, indeed, always suffer.

Finally somebody said: 'But in this case "innocent people"
were the
victims of a gruesome atrocity subsidised by your government, one
among many. If Congress allows the Contras more money further
atrocities of this kind will take place. Is this not the case? Is
your government not therefore guilty of supporting acts of
murder and
destruction upon the citizens of a sovereign state?'

Seitz was imperturbable. 'I don't agree that the facts as
presented
support your assertions,' he said.

As we were leaving the Embassy a US aide told me that he
enjoyed my
plays. I did not reply.

[...]