[Peace-discuss] NYT Editorial on Venzuela, with commentary

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 11 15:27:19 CST 2005

Apt commentary!
As Ed Herman notes  in Z Magazine, December, 2005:

The New York Times versus The Civil Society

  http://zmagsite.zmag.org/Dec2005/herman1205.html

…The veteran Times reporter John Hess has said that in all 24 years
of his service at the paper he “never saw a foreign intervention that
the Times did not support, never saw a fare increase or a rent
increase or a utility rate increase that it did not endorse, never
saw it take the side of labor in a strike or lockout, or advocate a
raise for underpaid workers. And don’t let me get started on
universal health care and Social Security. So why do people think the
Times is liberal?” The paper is an establishment institution and
serves establishment ends. As Times historian Harrison Salisbury said
about former executive editor Max Frankel, “The last thing that would
have entered his mind would be to hassle the American Establishment,
of which he was so proud to be a part.” …
…
--mkb