[Peace-discuss] sending care packages to Iraq

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 13 11:31:17 CST 2005

Dear AWARE Pac working group,

With regards to sending care packages to Iraqi women and
children, I asked my connection with the aid agency, and his
response follows. He mentions going through Jordan to get to
the local Iraqi community service groups.

>   A diplomatic pouch would be best.  Any connections with
the Iraq U.S. Embassy?

>   CWS participates in a program that ships
>   medical equipment for pediatric clinics and
>   hospitals, along with medicine and hygeine supplies,
>   etc. to Iraqi women and children.  We've been doing
>   it since the war started.  It's called "All our
>   Children".  We have an organizing team in Jordan (I
>   believe) and they go through local Iraqi community
>   service groups to deliver supplies.
>
>   Their shipments are usually in bulk and I doubt that
>   they would try to deliver specific individual
>   packages.  You could give a money donation to that
>   program if you wanted or last year we were sending
>   health and hygeine kits made by people in the U.S.
>   I could see if those are still being delivered.
>
>   The health and hygiene kits are always a good idea,
>   but they all have to be identical for processing -
>   no notes or extra gifts - and there is no way of
>   guaranteeing that your kit goes to Iraq as opposed
>   to Pakistan or even the Gulf coast.
>
>   Sorry, not much help I know.
>
>   - Kevin

I'm not sure he realized that we were also concerned for the
safety of our Iraqi contacts, but some of the information may
be helpful.

-karen medina