[Peace-discuss] some protests we can't support

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 16 23:07:38 CST 2005

I'm not sure these folks are protesting the war: they seem to
be celebrating it as a proper punishment of a military that
doesn't condemn homosexuality vigorously enough for them.

The casual mention of Frisby v. Schultz is a bit chilling.  A
clever use of the "right of privacy" seems to have led the SC
in 1988 to uphold "an ordinance in a Milwaukee suburb that
prohibited picketing outside an individual residence because
it invaded the privacy of a home."

If I wanted to control political speech in this country even
more, I'd work on that line.  E.g., our pictures of war dead
offend the right of privacy twice -- that of the dead and of
those who are forced to see them...  --CGE